Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
8 Likes  #1
Bluebonnet Season (Portrait)
Lens: 24-70 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Texas ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/1250s Aperture: F4.5 
Posted By: alamo5000, 03-24-2018, 10:16 PM

I took this today. 100% natural light. What do you guys think?

It's my friend's hyperactive 3 year old.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Views: 803
03-24-2018, 10:20 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A very lovely capture. My word, she is so darn cute. Way to go.

TT
03-24-2018, 10:34 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
A very lovely capture. My word, she is so darn cute. Way to go.

TT
She is VERY cute! And funny! I am 'Uncle'... I hang out and get her from daycare or whatever pretty regularly.

Here's another shot.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
03-24-2018, 11:47 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OMG!! A bonus shot. She is so precious, and she has a smile wider than the State of Texas. Honestly, I am about as far removed from being a pro photographer, however I would not change a thing, including the presets. What you have here is golden, please keep it that way. Get it printed so that in ten years, she will see it and ask, "Is that really me, uncle?".

Thanks so much for sharing.

TT

03-25-2018, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

You've caught the light very favourably, it looks like shes been lit specially! Its always hard to balance a subject and background like this, you're placement is perfect with regards to the light. Also you have created a strong depth with the low shooting angle and use of the blue flowers as foreground ..... great portraits!
03-25-2018, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Absolutely wonderful photo!

I've wanted to take a bluebonnet "cruise" with top down and camera at the ready for years - but I've never gotten off my lazy @#$%! and done it.

Jer
03-25-2018, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

great shots! Love the Bluebonnets all around your subject.

03-26-2018, 04:27 AM - 1 Like   #8
SJM
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What a cutie. Nicely done.
03-29-2018, 09:22 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OMG!! A bonus shot. She is so precious, and she has a smile wider than the State of Texas. Honestly, I am about as far removed from being a pro photographer, however I would not change a thing, including the presets. What you have here is golden, please keep it that way. Get it printed so that in ten years, she will see it and ask, "Is that really me, uncle?".

Thanks so much for sharing.

TT
I am not even close to being a professional! I am a money spender not a money maker! LOL!!! I did manage to find a spot that had a good background (no buildings) and that had the light coming from the right direction. The lighting is definitely key. We were out there about 1 hour before sundown on kind of an overcast day.

Her parents saw the second picture (they haven't seen the other 100 that I have yet) but they already want to get it printed as a canvas wrap. I guess that's a pretty good sign

And I only got a few "you have a good camera" comments! LOL!

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
You've caught the light very favourably, it looks like shes been lit specially! Its always hard to balance a subject and background like this, you're placement is perfect with regards to the light. Also you have created a strong depth with the low shooting angle and use of the blue flowers as foreground ..... great portraits!
Thank you! Light is the key to it all. Well one of the major ones at least. I have been studying light for a couple of years now already. Hopefully it's starting to pay off. LOL!

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Absolutely wonderful photo!

I've wanted to take a bluebonnet "cruise" with top down and camera at the ready for years - but I've never gotten off my lazy @#$%! and done it.

Jer
Thank you!

Man! You gotta get out there! Pick a good weekend and go for a drive! There are plenty of places.

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
great shots! Love the Bluebonnets all around your subject.
You should see some of the fields around me. BILLIONS of flowers. Just an ocean of blue and red and yellow. A lot of those places though you can't go onto without permission.

QuoteOriginally posted by SJM Quote
What a cutie. Nicely done.
Thank you!

Like I said above I am not a professional but I am trying to slowly learn the fine art of light. When, where, what kind, which direction, etc. After that I picked a good background and well the rest took care of itself!

She's definitely a little fireball. Getting her to stand still for 5 seconds was a definite challenge. I even had to get her parents to hold her for a minute, set her down and run out of the way, then I ran along side her trying to get pictures. It was pretty funny. I can honestly say that I am fairly satisfied with the set of pictures for the most part. Honestly I probably could have gotten a little bit more shots with a 70-200, but the 24-70 wasn't shabby by any stretch. I also probably could have gotten more shots with a 25 fps camera too

She's 3 but she certainly has a big personality.
03-29-2018, 09:25 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I am also glad her parents dressed her in red. I think it goes nicely with the blue.
03-29-2018, 10:32 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My friend I have been sitting here wondering how to choose my words carefully, so I will just come right out and say it. I feel you have a wonderful second photograph with unlimited potential. You should consider (or, perhaps her parents) entering this photo in any of the challenges here on PF and on any of the numerous photography sites available online. If you have an art/photography gallery in your area, show them and see what they say. I would venture to gamble even sending it to ad agencies. Remember, Brooke Shields started out as a baby doing commercials and so did Jodie Foster, doing Coppertone ads. Like everyone else, kids do not get any younger. Thanks again for sharing such wonderful photography.

TT
03-29-2018, 11:39 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I am also glad her parents dressed her in red. I think it goes nicely with the blue.
Agree ^^ Wonderful photos
03-30-2018, 07:35 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My friend I have been sitting here wondering how to choose my words carefully, so I will just come right out and say it. I feel you have a wonderful second photograph with unlimited potential. You should consider (or, perhaps her parents) entering this photo in any of the challenges here on PF and on any of the numerous photography sites available online. If you have an art/photography gallery in your area, show them and see what they say. I would venture to gamble even sending it to ad agencies. Remember, Brooke Shields started out as a baby doing commercials and so did Jodie Foster, doing Coppertone ads. Like everyone else, kids do not get any younger. Thanks again for sharing such wonderful photography.

TT
Thank you! I will definitely take it into consideration. Her parents are saying they want to do it as a canvas wrap so this might be to be the first photo I've ever printed, much less put on canvas. That would be an accomplishment in and of itself even if we do that. If we do that I might do two. One for them and one for me so I can have a sample of my own work to show around.

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Agree ^^ Wonderful photos
Thank you paulh!