Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Two views over SF Bay.
Posted By: Damn Brit, 09-05-2008, 05:10 PM

Took these two shots this morning from my deck. There's always a bit of haze, today was pretty clear though. Both with Sigma 105 macro

First shot looking across Oakland, you can see the docks, Bay Bridge, SF skyline and GG bridge (just about). ISO 100 F11 1/400 s

Second shot looking across Berkeley towards the North Bay, Sonoma hills in the background. ISO 200 F11 1/250 s

I know there's room for improvement here, suggestions appreciated.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 03-29-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Views: 2,981
09-05-2008, 05:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Like the first one Gary... My camera is still not back, in fact Pentax can not find it now!! Shipper received it but it was never entered in their system. They also have my Pentax 12-24 lens... They did say they would replace it if they don't find it. How could they loose a camera? Still think its stuck in their shippers office and he hasn't done his job logging in the serier number. This is pissing me off though. JIMBO
09-05-2008, 05:29 PM   #3
Damn Brit

Thanks Jimbo, hope your camera comes back soon. Mind you, if they can't find it you could have a nice K20 winging it's way toward you.
09-05-2008, 05:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Well done Gary love the 1st shot - one day I hope to join you on your deck for a cold and and enjoy the view

09-05-2008, 05:31 PM   #5
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Well done Gary love the 1st shot - one day I hope to join you on your deck for a cold and and enjoy the view
You should see it when the fog rolls in. Awesome, I think I've got a couple I can post.
09-05-2008, 09:46 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You certainly have a great view from your deck. I really like #1.
09-05-2008, 11:21 PM   #7
Damn Brit

Thanks guys, any suggestions on how I could improve the shots?

09-05-2008, 11:40 PM   #8
Damn Brit

This is a night shot with the fog rolling in. Looking south towards SF airport.
Again, any advice would be appreciated.
This has been cropped on the left and at the top. It may be a bit noisy but I quite like the image.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 12-27-2009 at 12:40 AM.
09-06-2008, 03:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Nice view, Gary! I like the first image best. Since you asked twice for suggestions on how to improve the shots, this is what occurs to me.
The first one looks a little bit tilted to my eye, and I might crop out some of the foreground trees. I'm not sure what the second shot is supposed to be showing me - your neighbor's houses, or the view beyond.

I like the night shot, I might take your crop even farther.

have you considered trying a longer lens and stitching a pano?
09-06-2008, 04:00 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Thanks guys, any suggestions on how I could improve the shots?
Get a front porch closer to the bay!

Try using a polarizing filter next time. Maybe try a longer lens and pano and stitch them together.

You are so lucky to live in a great part of the world.

Thanks for sharing.
09-06-2008, 10:02 AM   #11
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by timbo13 Quote
Nice view, Gary! I like the first image best. Since you asked twice for suggestions on how to improve the shots, this is what occurs to me.
The first one looks a little bit tilted to my eye, and I might crop out some of the foreground trees. I'm not sure what the second shot is supposed to be showing me - your neighbor's houses, or the view beyond.

I like the night shot, I might take your crop even farther.

have you considered trying a longer lens and stitching a pano?
Thanks for the comments Timbo.
It was quite hard to straighten that first one, the GG bridge is just about level but other elements aren't.
You're right, it is pretty much just my neighbours houses isn't it? What was I thinking?

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Get a front porch closer to the bay!

Try using a polarizing filter next time. Maybe try a longer lens and pano and stitch them together.

You are so lucky to live in a great part of the world.

Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the comments Jeff, I actually need to be higher up instead of closer.
Problem with doing a panorama is that my view between those first two shots is obscured by a huge pine tree on the street below.
It is a beautiful place to live but there are too many people for the resources available to sustain it.
09-06-2008, 02:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Gary, like the last shot. On the first one did you use a polarized filter? A N8 or N4 may have helped with the sky. These type of filters will make this type of sky pop. If a polarized filer was used maybe a + 1/3 exposure com would have helped the foreground. Anyway, its still a great shot. JIMBO
09-06-2008, 03:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

In the first pictures, I like the second better too, because I find it more in balance as between the foreground and background! Very nice!

The night scene is excellent!
09-06-2008, 04:38 PM   #14
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Gary, like the last shot. On the first one did you use a polarized filter? A N8 or N4 may have helped with the sky. These type of filters will make this type of sky pop. If a polarized filer was used maybe a + 1/3 exposure com would have helped the foreground. Anyway, its still a great shot. JIMBO
Thanks for the suggestion Jimbo.

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
In the first pictures, I like the second better too, because I find it more in balance as between the foreground and background! Very nice!

The night scene is excellent!
Thank you Georg.
09-07-2008, 02:21 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice images, Gary. I love SF. I've only sailed the bay once - blew like stink, which, I gather, it's supposed to do. Beautiful place to sail.

Jer