Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Muscle Cars
Camera: Panasonic LX100 Photo Location: Houston, TX 
Posted By: Sailor, 04-07-2018, 04:41 PM

You can't visit a Mecum auction without encountering dozens upon dozens of muscle cars. Here are some shots I grabbed at this year's Mecum in Houston.

Although I never owned one, my favorite muscle car of the '60s and early '70s was the 65 GTO - not because it was the fastest or the most capable, but because I love the clean, spare lines that disappeared in '66 as GM's midsize models became bigger and more bulbous. The first two shots here are of a convertible and a hardtop.

The third photo below is of a "super stock" Dodge Coronet 426 Hemi. I think this one is an early '60s model, but I don't know Mopars well enough to be sure and I didn't check the window tag. I do know, however, that the little old lady in Pasadena had a red one.

The fourth photo is of a '68 or '69 Malibu SS; it's got a 427 badge and the Yenko name is written all over it, but I'm doubtful it's the real deal. I include this one because my wife and I bought a (very) well used '68 Malibu convertible in '73 when we lived in Boston. Out car was the absolute antithesis of a big block SS, however, since it was equipped with a 250 CI six and three on the tree. We called it the Creampuff and had a ball with it until we had a baby girl and the car was burning more oil than gas.

Next we come to a Nova SS 396. I include it because I always liked the unique look of these cars, but also because we ordered one (a 350 SS) in the spring of '71. After waiting 7 weeks for the car, GM decided to end '71 production in the summer earlier than originally planned, and our car was dropped from the production list. We ended up buying a Camaro (the first of three) which we loved (something I can't say about every Chevy we've owned), but every time I see a Nova of this era, I feel a pang of regret.

Next comes a '69 Torino 428 Cobra Jet. We owned a '69 Mach I with the lowly Windsor 351 2V, but I test drove both a Shelby GT 500 and a '69 Mustang GT with the 428; they sure could pull - at least in a straight line.

Finally, we come to a '70 Trans Am, another model I almost bought a time or two in the '70s but never did for various reasons. I've broached the idea of getting one now, but my wife suggested that the rest of my life would be hell were I to do so.

Jer

Views: 341
04-07-2018, 05:04 PM   #2
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
More excellent images of some wonderful vehicles Jer. Future generations ( in their little electric driver less people movers ) will look back at images like these with such envy. Thanks for sharing these buddy.
04-07-2018, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really a nice job. Thanks for posting it's fun just looking at them.
04-07-2018, 05:38 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm going to get Sugar Diabetes of the eyes if you keep presenting Eyecandy like this!

04-07-2018, 07:13 PM   #5
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Sugar Diabetes of the eyes
I think that is called dEYEabetes EM...................................................................
04-07-2018, 10:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The Land of the Muscle Cars
Thanks US of A for the machines that covers the world

And of course you Jer for a snapshot of some of these beasts

TFS

cheers
04-08-2018, 12:22 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
More excellent images of some wonderful vehicles Jer. Future generations ( in their little electric driver less people movers ) will look back at images like these with such envy. Thanks for sharing these buddy.
Thanks much, Peter - I'm glad you like 'em.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by foxandcrow Quote
Really a nice job. Thanks for posting it's fun just looking at them.
Thank you - appreciate the nice words.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
I'm going to get Sugar Diabetes of the eyes if you keep presenting Eyecandy like this!
I'll tell you, EM, when you walk into one of these auctions, you're almost overwhelmed by all the cool metal around you. You have to develop a methodical approach, otherwise you'll find yourself trying to go in three directions at once.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
I think that is called dEYEabetes EM...................................................................

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
The Land of the Muscle Cars
Thanks US of A for the machines that covers the world

And of course you Jer for a snapshot of some of these beasts

TFS

cheers
Hey, Ivan - glad you like the pics!!

Jer
04-08-2018, 02:43 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wonderful series, great work. Thanks for sharing.

TT

04-09-2018, 06:11 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Wonderful series, great work. Thanks for sharing.

TT
Thank you, Tony.

Jer
04-09-2018, 06:14 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
great series jer.... the 'judge' is my favorite.... here comes da judge! dave m
04-09-2018, 06:26 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
great series jer.... the 'judge' is my favorite.... here comes da judge! dave m
Thanks my friend. I hope you and yours are doing well.

Jer