Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Retezat Mountains
Lens: DA 15mm Limited Camera: K-1 
Posted By: Hattifnatt, 04-11-2018, 12:51 AM

Some pictures from the Retezat Mountains in Romania. At that time I didn't have any wide angle lens available so I used the DA 15mm Limited on the K-1 for all those shots (in crop mode).

Last edited by Hattifnatt; 04-11-2018 at 01:41 AM.
Views: 887
04-11-2018, 05:00 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I used to hike quite a bit in the Alps when I lived in Switzerland; these wonderful shots bring back good memories. Thanks!

Last edited by CharLac; 04-11-2018 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Spelling
04-11-2018, 05:51 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A splendid series - I especially enjoyed the B&W photos.

Jer
04-11-2018, 12:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

That is a nice series. I particularly enjoyed the star bursts. Well done.

04-11-2018, 12:34 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice. Do you notice any loss of image quality using the 15mm limited lens on the K1 in crop mode?
These photos look quite sharp to me. What is the opinion of the photographer? What is the opinion of other members of the Forum?
04-11-2018, 12:59 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Lovely images...guessing the SMC version.
04-11-2018, 02:38 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Starburst conundrum

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Soooo, I really like that series of pictures but I am not a fan of the starbursts...am I the only one? I tend to like something more natural out of the camera.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
04-11-2018, 11:36 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
I used to hike quite a bit in the Alps when I lived in Switzerland; these wonderful shots bring back good memories. Thanks!
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
A splendid series - I especially enjoyed the B&W photos.
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by photomax7 Quote
Lovely images...guessing the SMC version.
Thank you all. Yes, this is the SMC version.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tbone51 Quote
Very nice. Do you notice any loss of image quality using the 15mm limited lens on the K1 in crop mode? These photos look quite sharp to me. What is the opinion of the photographer? What is the opinion of other members of the Forum?
Thank you. I don't pixelpeep that much but to me it seems the quality is about the same as when using the DA 15 on the K5IIs (my previous camera). DA 15 is pretty sharp in the center and edge-to-edge it gets better once you stop down to f/8-f/11. Only problem is that you don't get a K-1 to use it with the DA 15 in crop mode. In this occasion I only used it because I had no other wide lens at that time, later I got the DFA 24-70mm and I'm very happy with it. What I could have done better is to try and use the DA 15 in FF mode and then some cropping (but I'm lazy) or use it in crop mode but with Pixelshift to get an increase in IQ.

---------- Post added 12th Apr 2018 at 09:40 ----------

Soooo, I really like that series of pictures but I am not a fan of the starbursts...am I the only one? I tend to like something more natural out of the camera.
Thanks. I suppose that would be something similar to what you see when you look at a light source and close your eyes a little bit? I don't know which lens has the most natural starburst... apart from DA 15, I like the starburst of FA 43 Limited.
04-12-2018, 06:46 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Thank you all. Yes, this is the SMC version.

---------- Post added 12th Apr 2018 at 09:40 ----------

Thanks. I suppose that would be something similar to what you see when you look at a light source and close your eyes a little bit? I don't know which lens has the most natural starburst... apart from DA 15, I like the starburst of FA 43 Limited.
Okay I must be missing something. Is the sun burst effect in your picture the result of a filter or your lens?

Thanks, Charlie
04-12-2018, 07:10 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Okay I must be missing something. Is the sun burst effect in your picture the result of a filter or your lens?

Thanks, Charlie
The sunburst is a feature of the SMC version of this lens...it's diminished in the HD version CharLac.
04-12-2018, 07:39 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photomax7 Quote
The sunburst is a feature of the SMC version of this lens...it's diminished in the HD version CharLac.
Ahhh, got it. I guess I have never used a lens with such a pronounced effect. The example I posted was from a DA 18-55, which I find more appealing. Thanks for the explanation
04-12-2018, 09:55 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Beautiful images!
04-12-2018, 01:57 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Looks like a cool location. I like how you added the portrait shot at the end as well. Nice series!
04-13-2018, 12:07 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Okay I must be missing something. Is the sun burst effect in your picture the result of a filter or your lens? Thanks, Charlie
I didn't use any filters, this sunburst is a characteristic of the DA 15mm Ltd, SMC version. The effect is reduced with the new HD version because of rounded aperture blades.

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Beautiful images!
QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote
Looks like a cool location. I like how you added the portrait shot at the end as well. Nice series!
Thank you. I rarely used the 15mm Ltd for portraits but when I did it turned out nicely!