Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
ND Sent Exposure
Posted By: Mike Cash, 09-06-2008, 05:43 AM

After finding some spots with running water and (very) minor waterfalls in easy driving distance of my home, I ordered my first ever ND filter.

Thanks to ISO100, f16, an ND8 filter and a linear polarizer I was able to stretch exposure on this river scene out to a very nice 30 seconds despite it being taken at 12:37....practically high noon.

Pentax K20D
S-M-C Takumar 35/3.5

I found the Live View to be an extremely valuable aid in setting up this sort of shot today. I must admit that it is a use for Live View that I never would have foreseen.
Views: 3,835
09-06-2008, 06:22 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Very nice silky water. I think you sold me. I have some old lens at the same size so might get one for that set. I also have tried the graduated filter in LR2 and that works for sky but would not help to get this type of picture. Thanks.
09-06-2008, 06:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I love that long exposure water effect. Beautiful.
09-06-2008, 07:07 AM   #4
Inactive Account

The silky water effect is a given with the long exposure, and I like it! Obviously there is a bit of motion in the leaves but not so much as to be distracting. The colours really make the image pop, but the even treatment of the lighting really makes this image stand out. Must be the ND filter- something I haven't tried either. Great job Mike.

Thanks for sharing.

09-06-2008, 07:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Just a though....wouldn't using the in-camera multi exposure mode do the same thing?
09-06-2008, 08:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Great shot and POP4 I think you could but doubt the results would be as good as this
09-06-2008, 08:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Mike, this is a keeper.. Great shot.. I love playing with long exposures and I too just bought the ND8 filter... Still haven't tried it out yet... JIMBO

09-06-2008, 02:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Great shot, Mike, the water is amazing with it's soft glow!
09-06-2008, 02:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Awesome shot Mike, I am hoping to do something similar this week !! Need to get a bit denser ND filter though, lol, mine is a 4x I believe
09-06-2008, 02:37 PM   #10

I hate to say simply, "Me, too," but let me just say that is a gorgeous shot. Very nicely done.
09-06-2008, 02:46 PM   #11

That's a keeper! Thanks for sharing.

Al S.
09-06-2008, 03:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

gorgeous shot, you're making want to jump back into it all more and more.

btw, you said you placed a "linear" polarizer over the ND8? i thought all digital cameras require a circular polarizer? also, did double stacking filters like that make a tunnel effect?

i ask because companies, like hoya, advertise such things like a super thin digital series of filters that are designed to never get in the way.
09-06-2008, 04:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm very grateful for all the kind comments and very pleased that some folks feel inspired to go out and give this sort of thing a try themselves.

Regarding the questions:

I don't think the multi-exposure mode would do the same thing. I suppose I could give it a try sometime, though.

I got a linear polarizer for a few reasons. The main one is that they cost about 1/4 of what circular polarizers cost. I had a CPL (until I dropped it) and I never did like the sort of half-assed polarizing effect they give compared to a linear.

According to my understanding, it isn't digital cameras which require circular polarizers; it is the auto-focus systems of digital cameras which require circular polarizers. I use manual focus primes almost exclusively so I was able to get the filter that suits my tastes and wallet.

No tunnel effect or vignetteing that I was able to observe.

I think the evenness of the light was more attributable to gray overcast noon skies that acted sort of like the world's largest softbox.

I should add that the reason the Live View was so handy was because with an ND8 blocking 3 stops of light and a PL blocking from 1~3 stops (depending on orientation) the viewfinder was amazingly dark. Opening up to maximum aperture let enough light through for Live View to give a great view of the scene for composing, focusing, and orienting the PL. Then all I had to do was click it off, shut down the aperture again (forgot that several times), and fire with the 2-sec shutter delay. Without the Live View I would have had to remove and remount the filters for every shot. I just couldn't see through the viewfinder with them on the camera.
09-06-2008, 05:22 PM   #14
Veteran Member

beautiful Mike
09-08-2008, 10:19 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Nice Mike .... the good thing about most Taks ... the thread sizing is pretty uniform I have found (except the 85mm) ... but I have step rings for that.

I just got a Linear Polariser for mine ... and get some NDs if i can and see what I can find