Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Memories
Lens: DFA 28-105 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Kemah TX/Galveston Bay 
Posted By: Sailor, 04-13-2018, 03:11 PM

For the first time since we stopped sailing well over three years ago, my wife and I made a day trip together to what used to be our second home, Kemah, TX, where we docked our boat and spent countless weekends. We had a delightful lunch on the deck of the Flying Dutchman, one of the several restaurants along a boardwalk on the Kemah channel, which carries scores of pleasure boats based in the many marinas of Clear Lake to and from Galveston Bay.

For 19 years we used this channel to ply the waters of the Bay, first with our Catalina 27, Watch Glass, then later our beloved Catalina 30 MkIII, Cut Time, and over that period, the vast majority of my photographic efforts centered around boats, docks, dives, marine critters and the generally funky sights and scenes that make coastal living so special.

Consequently, I have zillions of pictures of boats motoring on the channel - most of which were taken from the deck of my own boat while we were similarly engaged. Even so, I couldn't resist aiming my K-1 at some of the light traffic that was present on the channel. I have to admit, we both got lumps in our throats as we watched a couple of boats exiting the channel and unfurling their jibs. As it happened, there was a boat show in Kemah this week; we wisely decided not to stop by.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 04-13-2018 at 03:39 PM.
Views: 886
04-13-2018, 03:34 PM   #2
maw
Pentaxian

Beautiful description and beautiful photos, you have an enviable location to take the photos you want , love and live on the sea, if I understand correctly.

I love the sea but I don't have a boat. How does Pentax K1 behave with sea salinity?
04-13-2018, 03:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well presented and illustrated.
04-13-2018, 10:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I always like boat shots.... nice! We spent some time in Kemah too and I enjoyed the vibe there (weather permitting). We especially liked brunch at Landry's. Is it still there?

04-14-2018, 06:05 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
Beautiful description and beautiful photos, you have an enviable location to take the photos you want , love and live on the sea, if I understand correctly.

I love the sea but I don't have a boat. How does Pentax K1 behave with sea salinity?
Thank you for the kind words. We sold the boat over three years ago, so I never used the K-1 aboard. However, over the 19 years I mentioned, I employed lots of Pentax cameras, including a DS2, with no ill effects.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Well presented and illustrated.
Thank you, EM.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
I always like boat shots.... nice! We spent some time in Kemah too and I enjoyed the vibe there (weather permitting). We especially liked brunch at Landry's. Is it still there?
Thanks, Jerry. Landry's is indeed still there just down the boardwalk from where we had lunch. I don't know when you visited, but the Kemah Boardwalk - built around Landry's and a couple of other restaurants - now has an amusement park, including a serious roller coaster, and probably a dozen restaurants and bars. The place attracts well over a million folks each year. Old Kemah surrounds the boardwalk and has gone upscale funky.

Regarding boat pics, I have some - with boats sailing fast and hard - that are much better than these. If I ever get the gumption, I'll go back and pick a few to post (perhaps for the second time).

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 04-14-2018 at 08:51 AM.
04-14-2018, 02:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Thank you for the kind words. We sold the boat over three years ago, so I never used the K-1 aboard. However, over the 19 years I mentioned, I employed lots of Pentax cameras, including a DS2, with no ill effects.

Jer

Thank you, EM.

Jer

Thanks, Jerry. Landry's is indeed still there just down the boardwalk from where we had lunch. I don't know when you visited, but the Kemah Boardwalk - built around Landry's and a couple of other restaurants - now has an amusement park, including a serious roller coaster, and probably a dozen restaurants and bars. The place attracts well over a million folks each year. Old Kemah surrounds the boardwalk and has gone upscale funky.

Regarding boat pics, I have some - with boats sailing fast and hard - that are much better than these. If I ever get the gumption, I'll go back and pick a few to post (perhaps for the second time).

Jer
I don't remember any amusement park, and there weren't anywhere near that many restaurants. We lived in Houston in the mid-1990's, so I guess most of the development came after that. It made for a great day trip from the city.
04-14-2018, 03:48 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't remember any amusement park, and there weren't anywhere near that many restaurants. We lived in Houston in the mid-1990's, so I guess most of the development came after that. It made for a great day trip from the city.
Very well done series. I have spent a lot of time in Texas as there are many wonderful sights to see and fun things to do. It is not as most folks believe, nothing but desert, sagebrush and ghost towns. Texas is very rich in Olde Americana, great history and warm, receptive folks. Awesome place to vacation and enjoy.

Again, great photos and thanks so much for viewing.

TT

04-15-2018, 12:26 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
If you have a moment, Google the place - you won't recognize it.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Very well done series. I have spent a lot of time in Texas as there are many wonderful sights to see and fun things to do. It is not as most folks believe, nothing but desert, sagebrush and ghost towns. Texas is very rich in Olde Americana, great history and warm, receptive folks. Awesome place to vacation and enjoy.

Again, great photos and thanks so much for viewing.

TT
Thank you, Tony.

We've lived here since we moved here from Michigan in 1995; prior to that we grew up in Illinois then lived in Nashville, Aberdeen, MD, Boston, Michigan, Ohio, back to Michigan and finally to Texas. We found things to enjoy in every place we lived.

Jer
08-20-2018, 07:31 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you for sharing these attractive photos, and the memories they elicit, with us.
08-20-2018, 08:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

A lovely series, and a good story behind them