Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
26 Likes  
From Alps to Ocean - a cycling/photography log
Posted By: pinholecam, 04-19-2018, 04:06 PM

[pinholecam] From Alps to Ocean - A bicycle/photo log

Its interesting to me that it took me so long to get this trip going.
In a way, it took decades.
The accumulation of my interests from a young schoolboy who liked camping back in the day to cycling for triathlons later as a younger man, and with photography slotted somewhere in the middle of this.

So since 2 years back, I decided to put them together and do some tours by bike.
Got me a foldable to make it simpler to do multi-modal travel and headed out to Perth on the first trip
That trip here : Going solo - A week of cycle touring in Perth | ClubSNAP

So having read about the Alps to Ocean trail in New Zealand, I decided to give this a try.

The K1 astro tracer proved to be very useful in this situation being able to let the FA31ltd I was using to go over the '500' rule and expose the sky for 40s at ISO3200, f2.8.
If going by the '500' rule, it would have been only 16s and I'd have had to use high iso and a larger aperture.

Super cold and windy night when I ventured out to shoot this.
I had to do a lot of moving around to keep myself from freezing.

Between 8pm-10.30pm, there are lots of tourists coming to shoot the church with their phones, light interference from car headlamps will be common until about 10.30pm.

---------- Post added 04-20-2018 at 07:09 AM ----------

Last edited by pinholecam; 04-19-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Views: 5,673
06-15-2018, 04:56 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A great series of shots. Nice work!

06-15-2018, 07:36 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
[pinholecam] From Alps to Ocean - A bicycle/photo log

Super cold and windy night when I ventured out to shoot this.
I had to do a lot of moving around to keep myself from freezing.

Between 8pm-10.30pm, there are lots of tourists coming to shoot the church with their phones, light interference from car headlamps will be common until about 10.30pm.
What do their headlights shine on? Is it possible to incorporate their light to get completely unique views?

BTW - I don't want to give the wrong impression .... these pictures by themselves are very nice
06-15-2018, 10:40 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
A great series of shots. Nice work!
Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
What do their headlights shine on? Is it possible to incorporate their light to get completely unique views?

BTW - I don't want to give the wrong impression .... these pictures by themselves are very nice

Thanks.
The headlights shine on the front of the church. As one cannot control the number of 'shines' and duration, it usually just gives erratic results if one shots from the front of the church.
Add to this, there will be the random light from handphones, torches and the tourist with phone camera who wants a shot and moves across/into the frame.
I did not get any good shots from the front.

Anyway, the interesting view is usually with the milky way and thats to the back of the church.
06-17-2018, 01:37 AM - 2 Likes   #49
Pentaxian

Original Poster

K1+FA31ltd; Elephant Rocks

06-17-2018, 06:07 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Superb shots! Thanks for sharing them.
06-17-2018, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These are fantastic. A few questions:

1) any idea how many shots you took (perhaps not including internal shots as more than 1 shot per attempt)?

2) how much post event time was needed to get this series culled and processed?

3) what tools besides Photoshop did you use if any?
06-18-2018, 08:24 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Superb shots! Thanks for sharing them.
Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
These are fantastic. A few questions:

1) any idea how many shots you took (perhaps not including internal shots as more than 1 shot per attempt)?

>> Probably about 100 80-100 shots a day, but many are either bracketed shots or slight variation of an angle.
But the DR of the K1 is so good that I have found that there is really little need for bracketed shots most of the time (but I leave that decision after the fact of taking them)

>> Most of the time is to go thru the all the shots and processing all of them.
Only some make the cut for posting up since I try not to post a location too many times.
If I have all the time for myself, I'd probably go thru 80-100 shots a day (non working time), but the realities of family life sees that I only get maybe 30-60mins a day with playing with LR.

Post processing is LR > Photoshop.
I will use Color Efex / Silver Efex if necessary.

06-25-2018, 12:57 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Pentax K1 +Samyang 14/2.8 (Astrotracer ON)

It was a long ride with quite a few long climbs and I was starting to have doubts about my booking for the night.
The accommodation was a distance away from the main town road (a one street town) and the additional climbing I had to do made me think if I made the right choice as the day was coming to an end.

However, when I arrived and saw the cabin, I was immediately energized.
A nice old school bus converted to a cabin with its own wood fireplace, cozy bed and kitchen.

Not to mention the photographic potential when the clouds blew off and the stars were revealed...
Well, all this thread is filled with really great photos and when I think that you're riding AND taking pictures along the way I must say Im very impressed.
Your images are wonderful, a great testimony of your ride...and boy what a ride

This picture of the MW and bus is from another world !
Man I wish I could sleep one night in this kind of setting, that would make me in heaven
06-25-2018, 01:46 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
Well, all this thread is filled with really great photos and when I think that you're riding AND taking pictures along the way I must say Im very impressed.
Your images are wonderful, a great testimony of your ride...and boy what a ride

This picture of the MW and bus is from another world !
Man I wish I could sleep one night in this kind of setting, that would make me in heaven

Thanks.

I do think cycling is a great way to cover much more than what I can do on foot.
There is also that proximity to the terrain and scenery (as well as the elements) itself that I find is not replicated if done on vehicle.
I do wish I was braver with respects to the cold weather though and I did miss almost all sunrise/set shooting as I was too afraid of the cold to venture out after settling for the day. (tropical weather guy, so zero experience with under 10degC )

I'd still shoring up the courage to do Iceland.
06-25-2018, 02:27 AM - 1 Like   #55
Veteran Member

Thanks.

I do think cycling is a great way to cover much more than what I can do on foot.
There is also that proximity to the terrain and scenery (as well as the elements) itself that I find is not replicated if done on vehicle.
I do wish I was braver with respects to the cold weather though and I did miss almost all sunrise/set shooting as I was too afraid of the cold to venture out after settling for the day. (tropical weather guy, so zero experience with under 10degC )

I'd still shoring up the courage to do Iceland.
I thought you being afraid of the cold is really funny, Im on same boat as I was living in a tropical country for a while and when I came back to Paris about 5 years ago the cold was a big issue, nowadays I get use to it
Anyway, your images are great, and the fact that you're cycling as got to be of importance I understand.
07-02-2018, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #56
Pentaxian

Original Poster

K1+FA77ltd

Quite the ride thru the line of trees in this shot as it channeled the winds against the direction of travel.
This was followed up by the climb up to this particular vantage point.
07-03-2018, 12:28 AM   #57
Inactive Account

Great shooting indeed!
07-03-2018, 05:00 AM   #58
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Janse Quote
Great shooting indeed!

Thanks for the encouragement.
07-05-2018, 06:03 AM - 3 Likes   #59
Pentaxian