Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
McWay Falls
Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Big Sur 
Posted By: GeoJerry, 04-19-2018, 11:26 PM

In converting from Aperture to Lightroom a few years ago, I lost all my edits, so at the end of the process I had a Lightroom catalog full of RAW images. (I wonder if that's happened to anyone else?) Gradually I've gone back and edited favorite old shots, including this one from Julia Pfeiffer-Burns State Park on the Big Sur coast of California.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 893
04-19-2018, 11:39 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Nice shot
04-20-2018, 05:13 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Bet it's like paradise with with a sunny blue sky...lovely image GeoJerry.
04-20-2018, 05:34 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm still using Aperture, so no issue with the edits. But if you export the images you want as TIFFs you'll save your edits. Something I'll do if ever forced to migrate.

04-20-2018, 05:25 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Outstanding shot.
04-21-2018, 12:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dave B Quote
Nice shot
Thanks Dave!

---------- Post added 04-21-18 at 12:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photomax7 Quote
Bet it's like paradise with with a sunny blue sky...lovely image GeoJerry.
Thanks photomax, yeah this entire stretch of coast is amazing!

---------- Post added 04-21-18 at 12:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm still using Aperture, so no issue with the edits. But if you export the images you want as TIFFs you'll save your edits. Something I'll do if ever forced to migrate.
I liked Aperture, better in some ways than Lightroom, but didn't want to be tied to a sinking ship so I took the plunge.

---------- Post added 04-21-18 at 12:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by foxandcrow Quote
Outstanding shot.
Thanks very much!
04-21-2018, 04:39 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nature can provide some stunning motives for us photographers.
Quickly, go back and brighten the pic a bit before someone will turn off the water hose.

This one will be good to print but you must turn up the brightness a wee bit otherwise you will be disappointed, it will print too dark.

Cheers

04-21-2018, 06:04 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A beautiful photo, Jerry.

I'm currently using Apple Photo, which can manipulate about everything I'll ever adjust in a photo. The only problem: the app struggles with processing big RAW files from my K-1 (K-3 files are no problem); it works but only slowly and usually with various manifestations of bizarre behavior. My fix is to edit RAW files and save what I want, then save them again as "Maximum Quality" jpegs which I then use for processing.

I'm guessing the problem is not the app but that my iMac doesn't have enough fire power. A couple of years ago, a lightening storm took out my previous iMac; rather than take my time and design the replacement, I impatiently ordered the cheapest 21" model available which was offered at a substantial discount at Best Buy. A case of being penny wise and pound foolish.

Jer
04-21-2018, 10:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Nature can provide some stunning motives for us photographers.
Quickly, go back and brighten the pic a bit before someone will turn off the water hose.

This one will be good to print but you must turn up the brightness a wee bit otherwise you will be disappointed, it will print too dark.

Cheers
Thanks for the comment, I think you're right on this. I tend to lean towards slightly dark pictures.

---------- Post added 04-21-18 at 10:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
A beautiful photo, Jerry.

I'm currently using Apple Photo, which can manipulate about everything I'll ever adjust in a photo. The only problem: the app struggles with processing big RAW files from my K-1 (K-3 files are no problem); it works but only slowly and usually with various manifestations of bizarre behavior. My fix is to edit RAW files and save what I want, then save them again as "Maximum Quality" jpegs which I then use for processing.

I'm guessing the problem is not the app but that my iMac doesn't have enough fire power. A couple of years ago, a lightening storm took out my previous iMac; rather than take my time and design the replacement, I impatiently ordered the cheapest 21" model available which was offered at a substantial discount at Best Buy. A case of being penny wise and pound foolish.

Jer
I was on Mac and Aperture until Apple stopped support for Aperture and then soon after my iMac conked out. I decided to go over to the dark side since I'd been having some quality issues with Apple (MacBook is also sluggish and troublesome). The new rig works just fine!
06-21-2018, 09:11 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
In converting from Aperture to Lightroom a few years ago, I lost all my edits, so at the end of the process I had a Lightroom catalog full of RAW images. (I wonder if that's happened to anyone else?) Gradually I've gone back and edited favorite old shots, including this one from Julia Pfeiffer-Burns State Park on the Big Sur coast of California.
A perfect scene - ocean, waterfall, beach, rocks, vegetation .... all nicely arranged