Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Just hangin
Lens: Tamron 24-135 Camera: Pentax K-I Photo Location: Rostock ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Schraubstock, 04-23-2018, 05:04 AM

No comment, just make of it whatever you like.

Last edited by Schraubstock; 10-27-2018 at 10:45 PM.
Views: 723
05-04-2018, 08:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I noticed the security camera top left, is that to watch he doesn't jump or in case some one tries to steal him?

Nice image, I like the woman bottom left and I would have been tempted to take / crop the shot so she was more prominent. Good job
05-04-2018, 09:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Nice image, I like the woman bottom left and I would have been tempted to take / crop the shot so she was more prominent. Good job
Hi
Thanks for commenting.
This is a normal reaction and is exactly what I was after. I want to provoke people for a reaction and not just look at the picture and forget it. Also, I wanted to give the camera and the woman equal "weight"

However, I must admit I am surprised you are the only one on this forum to have enough of an analytical mind to comment. Or perhaps people just don't bother and say Schraubstock got it wrong again.

Cheers
05-04-2018, 10:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I see what you did with the equal weight. You need to think when you look at it. Cool stuff.

05-05-2018, 10:39 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rostock, Germany. A lovely city to visit and also some of the most beautiful coastline in the world. The city was totally devastated during WWII and it is nothing short of miraculous the way it was restored over the years. Wonderful place to vacation. As for the photo, I do not know what to say except, very interesting.

TT
05-06-2018, 12:16 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
As for the photo, I do not know what to say...
You and me - and thanks for the commentary.
The man on the windowsill ? - there has to be a purpose behind it, if not total silliness.

"The city was totally devastated during WWII".

The poms (sorry politically incorrect) the Brits bombed the city because it was home to major military industries, like aircraft (Heinkel) and shipyards supplying Mr Hitler's little war. Of interest is perhaps that the Heinkel aircraft works in Rostock was the world's first jet engine manufacturer and the world's first successful jet powered aircraft flight took place there. Think about it when you sit in an A380 today.

Cheers
05-06-2018, 12:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Happy to oblige, I hope you didn't wait too long. I missed the obvious reference to the security camera and the woman as I had to scroll the picture, I can't see both at the same time. Perhaps you need to make it more obvious, if you cropped the image lengthwise to half way between the left and centre rows of windows so it appeared to be in portrait, the woman, the dummy and the camera would almost be a perfect triangle.

As the dummy is looking at the woman who in turn is looking at the dummy, who is also being watched by the camera, is there something deeper?

Who watches the watchers.....?

05-06-2018, 12:21 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
You need to think when you look at it.
Thanks, a bit of unconvetional framing can be neurologicly stimulating. No?

---------- Post added 06-05-18 at 05:37 PM ----------

...I had to scroll the picture, I can't see both at the same time. Perhaps you need to make it more obvious, if you cropped the image lengthwise...
Thanks for the reply,
I am sorry, I did not know you only have a small screen.

The "not-quite-negative" space to the right of the image is there for a reason.

Please note, I do not want you to feel offended if I contradict your thoughts, after all exchange of ideas and opinions is what this forum is all about !

Cheers

Last edited by Schraubstock; 05-06-2018 at 03:56 AM. Reason: typo
05-06-2018, 02:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Schraubstock rest assured, I will not be offended. As you say, this forum is an exchange of ideas and opinions, if there are better ideas and opinions than mine then so be it, I only offer them for your consideration.

I would however be interested in your reasons, you obviously put some thought and effort into it.
05-06-2018, 05:11 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I would however be interested in your reasons...

Even before photography was invented negative, or white space as it is sometimes referred to, has been used by artists, landscape designers, advertising agencies and architects for a very long time. Unfortunately a lot of people do not understand it as a legitimate way to turn a reasonable composition into a good one. A single dominant shape or a weighted component in the image draws the eye more effectively to it.

The main motive of a photo if it is small alone or uncluttered and is occupying only a small amount of image space in percentage figures but clearly is the main reason for taking the photograph, has to have something to balance it with and white or negative space will offer this balance. Without this white space many a photograph would look more like a macro shot if the object is small enough.

Hope this will explain it. I not always find the right words but think you will get the picture.
(pun not intended)

Cheers