Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A few pics from Great Smokies National Park
Posted By: RoxnDox, 09-06-2008, 09:21 PM

I was recently "forced" to spend a week on the fringes of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in Tennessee, and we did actually get one day with good weather fo a venture into the park for sunset captures. Here are a few of the better shots I got of the sun setting over the park, plus a couple from our slightly-less-than-direct route back to the Knoxville airport the next day. Enjoy!

C & C appreciated, I know I can always do better...

Jim

An old grist mill in Pigeon Forge, TN, near our hotel

A little waterfall by the roadside

Approaching Sunset

Sun going down over ridgeline above Chimney Tops peaks

The sun's last light over the ridgeline

A lovely hazy morning view over the Little River

And the reason they call 'em the Great Smokies...

Finally, just for kicks, a couple of shots I took (from the passenger seat) as we drove thru the park... They give a an intersting sense of motion!

Last edited by RoxnDox; 09-06-2008 at 09:24 PM. Reason: fixed image links
Views: 5,428
09-06-2008, 10:03 PM   #2

Great shots Jim, the first one of the mill is excellent and I really like the aerial perspective shots as well.

I'm not going to lie about the last two though, they make me want to throw up
09-06-2008, 10:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great series.. Really like #1 and 6... Cheers. JIMBO
09-08-2008, 07:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Did you eat at the resturant at the Grist Mill? My BIL lives in Pigeon Forge, and we get down that way a couple of times a year. Always nice to have a free place for lodging. They built a log home in Wear Valley (going toward Gatlinburg) 3 years ago.

09-08-2008, 04:37 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, Jim - these are wonderful. I love the Smokies and Pidgeon Forge, and you've captured them masterfully. Congrats.

Did you stay in Gatlinburg? It's a funky place - upscale and tacky at the same time.

Jer
09-08-2008, 04:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

very nice shots! I especially like #'s 2, 5, 6 and 9
09-08-2008, 05:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Did you eat at the resturant at the Grist Mill? My BIL lives in Pigeon Forge, and we get down that way a couple of times a year. Always nice to have a free place for lodging. They built a log home in Wear Valley (going toward Gatlinburg) 3 years ago.
No, we did not eat there - our group hit a BBQ joint, a catfish joint, and a brewpub :-) I think me and my K100D were the only ones who even saw the mill, and I only went there because I saw it on Google Earth!

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Wow, Jim - these are wonderful. I love the Smokies and Pidgeon Forge, and you've captured them masterfully. Congrats.

Did you stay in Gatlinburg? It's a funky place - upscale and tacky at the same time.

Jer
Thank you - it's gorgeous country. We were right at the upper edge of Pigeon Forge - couldn't find a hotel in Gatlinburg that would let us in with gov't lodging rates :-) We had one day with good weather after our workday was done, so we headed uphill to the park, and came back for dinner at the Great Smokies Brewery in Gatlinburg. Ahhhh, their Black Bear Ale was superb....

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
very nice shots! I especially like #'s 2, 5, 6 and 9
Thank you - it was a fun trip and I wish I could have spent a lot more time there...

Jim

09-08-2008, 05:52 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AlpenTak Quote
Great shots Jim, the first one of the mill is excellent and I really like the aerial perspective shots as well.

I'm not going to lie about the last two though, they make me want to throw up
well, I'll try to remember that!

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Great series.. Really like #1 and 6... Cheers. JIMBO
Thanks!

Jim
09-08-2008, 06:14 PM   #9
JMR
Veteran Member

Like the softness of the images. And I don't mean out of focus. Many people try to create bold saturated images, but it is not always necessary. Very nice work.

JMR
09-08-2008, 06:36 PM   #10

Nice pictures. I like number 1 and the last two. I live just about 25 miles or so from Pigeon Forge and the Great Smokey Mtns. I try to get up there when not working which latley is all the time.
09-08-2008, 07:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Number six is my most favorite, really all but the last few (I've been drinking beer watching Monday Night Football and they really do seem a tad disturbing at the moment) I took one similar a few years ago when my wife and I went to Hawaii-

Good job!
09-08-2008, 09:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Liked them all except the last two. Something in them should be clear as it is I got vertigo.
09-09-2008, 08:06 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
Like the softness of the images. And I don't mean out of focus. Many people try to create bold saturated images, but it is not always necessary. Very nice work.

JMR
Thanks - I did tweak the saturation on some of the pictures to get them looking more like my eyeball's recordings but I left them unsharpened. Just looked more realistic that way.

QuoteOriginally posted by eddieking Quote
Nice pictures. I like number 1 and the last two. I live just about 25 miles or so from Pigeon Forge and the Great Smokey Mtns. I try to get up there when not working which latley is all the time.
We took the scenic route thru Maryville on our way to & from the airport. Pretty country for sure!

QuoteOriginally posted by the_int21h Quote
Number six is my most favorite, really all but the last few (I've been drinking beer watching Monday Night Football and they really do seem a tad disturbing at the moment) I took one similar a few years ago when my wife and I went to Hawaii-

Good job!
Thanks - I like yours too, but then I never suffer from vertigo or motion sickness.

QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
Liked them all except the last two. Something in them should be clear as it is I got vertigo.
Sorry 'bout that - but I was just shooting out the windshield of a car in motion, and the camera decided the shutter speed. So I'll just keep the blame on my little K100D, since it has no feelings one way or the other!

Jim
09-09-2008, 12:36 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Superb quality shots with that artistic touch that makes these stand out!
09-09-2008, 08:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Greta series and I do like the special effects on the last couple

cheers