Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Attack Goose
Lens: DA* 300 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Lake Jackson, TX 
Posted By: Sailor, 04-28-2018, 06:16 PM

The other day I drove to a local pond (populated by ducks, geese, gulls and other stuff) in order to experiment with my DA 300 on my K-3 instead of my K-1 for the first time. As I stood at the water's edge photographing a gang of geese, one eyeballed me with malice and starting swimming towards me like a torpedo, something I captured (see second photo) but with less than technical excellence. Anyone who appreciates the bow wave of a displacement boat will recognize this dude was smokin'!

When he came ashore, he ran right at me attacking my feet and legs (untying one of my new Sperry Topsiders - an ordinarily unpardonable offense). As I backed away, I grabbed the first shot - which is more-or-less in focus. I turned away and he followed and heckled me all the way to my car - probably 50 or 60 yards. I probably got too close to youngsters or a nest. I can't be mad at one of God's creatures just trying to protect his family - so I'm saluting him with this post.

Jer

Views: 977
04-28-2018, 09:30 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

They are pretty viscous these geese (especially Canadian Geese, ironic eh?).

04-29-2018, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Nice pictures of the Canada Goose.

Back in the late '60's Canada Geese were a threatened species...and a sub species the Giant Canada was thought to be extirpated...as it turns our it wasn't ..there were some remnant populations still about.

I remember in the 1960's that one would see very few Canadas, but with flock restorative efforts/legislation, Canada Geese made an incredible comeback.

Up here on the prairies there are large numbers of Canada Geese and being a bit of a wildlife fan, I've taken to watching them on occasion, on farm grain fields during the evening. They seem to settle down for the evening en masse in shorter grassed areas...and have sentries posted...standing on guard, ever vigilant, ready to sound the alarm if they perceive the flock is threatened . The guards may number about 3-4 at points surrounding the settled flock.

There have been instances over the years where I haven't been far enough away and an angry goose has come at me full bore. When this happens I decide that discretion is the better part of valour and slink away as fast as I am able.

I now watch Canada Geese from a good distance, using my Sigma 150-500 or Pentax 55-300 racked out...during the golden hour before sunset. It's really quite something to see..well for me anyways. But then I'm a man of simple tastes and easily entertained.

The potentially worst attack from a wild bird, was a tossup between a couple of Common Loons that dive bombed me when I was fly fishing for trout at 'their' pond and two Great Horned Owls who were started to wave their wings and look in my direction...just when a skunk was waddling down the path by the owls..and me ...and my wife. Nature photography has it's share of rewards and close calls.
04-29-2018, 03:40 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
They are pretty viscous these geese (especially Canadian Geese, ironic eh?).
No kidding! I experienced that irony, myself.

Still, I think they're very handsome birds - I'll be posting some more photos of some of these guys in a less aggressive mood.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Nice pictures of the Canada Goose.

Back in the late '60's Canada Geese were a threatened species...and a sub species the Giant Canada was thought to be extirpated...as it turns our it wasn't ..there were some remnant populations still about.

I remember in the 1960's that one would see very few Canadas, but with flock restorative efforts/legislation, Canada Geese made an incredible comeback.

Up here on the prairies there are large numbers of Canada Geese and being a bit of a wildlife fan, I've taken to watching them on occasion, on farm grain fields during the evening. They seem to settle down for the evening en masse in shorter grassed areas...and have sentries posted...standing on guard, ever vigilant, ready to sound the alarm if they perceive the flock is threatened . The guards may number about 3-4 at points surrounding the settled flock.

There have been instances over the years where I haven't been far enough away and an angry goose has come at me full bore. When this happens I decide that discretion is the better part of valour and slink away as fast as I am able.

I now watch Canada Geese from a good distance, using my Sigma 150-500 or Pentax 55-300 racked out...during the golden hour before sunset. It's really quite something to see..well for me anyways. But then I'm a man of simple tastes and easily entertained.

The potentially worst attack from a wild bird, was a tossup between a couple of Common Loons that dive bombed me when I was fly fishing for trout at 'their' pond and two Great Horned Owls who were started to wave their wings and look in my direction...just when a skunk was waddling down the path by the owls..and me ...and my wife. Nature photography has it's share of rewards and close calls.
Hey Les - I felt like the threatened species at the moment these shots were taken!

Jer

08-13-2018, 12:08 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
The other day I drove to a local pond (populated by ducks, geese, gulls and other stuff) in order to experiment with my DA 300 on my K-3 instead of my K-1 for the first time. As I stood at the water's edge photographing a gang of geese, one eyeballed me with malice and starting swimming towards me like a torpedo, something I captured (see second photo) but with less than technical excellence. Anyone who appreciates the bow wave of a displacement boat will recognize this dude was smokin'!

When he came ashore, he ran right at me attacking my feet and legs (untying one of my new Sperry Topsiders - an ordinarily unpardonable offense). As I backed away, I grabbed the first shot - which is more-or-less in focus. I turned away and he followed and heckled me all the way to my car - probably 50 or 60 yards. I probably got too close to youngsters or a nest. I can't be mad at one of God's creatures just trying to protect his family - so I'm saluting him with this post.
When our second daughter {now a twenty-something} was young, she and I were walking along our town's 'Riverwalk' when a goose came toward us strutting and waving its wings. Seeing that its nest was close to the walk, I said to her, "That goose is just trying to scare us, just as I'll protect you if it gets too close; it thinks we're getting too close to its young".

Her answer was succint and to the point "It's working".
08-13-2018, 12:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Very good action shots!