Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
7 Likes  #1
Got a Medium Format Digital Camera - Some Photos of Rocky Mountain National Park
Lens: FA 45-85mm F4.5 Camera: 645D Photo Location: Northern Colorado ISO: 100 
Posted By: Colorado CJ, 04-29-2018, 09:25 AM

Well, I finally bit the bullet and moved up to digital Medium Format! I ended up buying a used Pentax 645D in pristine shape (3700 shutter actuations) for $2350.00.

Yesterday, I woke up at 4:30 to ride up to Rocky Mountain National Park. The road through the canyon is closed for flood repair, so I had to go the long way around.

Here are a few photos. These web sized photos with the web color palate don't do medium format images justice. You just can't see the detail or colors that I see on my calibrated screen. It also wasn't the ideal day for photography as the skies were not interesting at all. Its much better to have clouds or an almost overcast sky to get more interesting photos.

Anyway, here they are.

Views: 1,139
04-29-2018, 12:06 PM   #2

Great pictures and a great acquisition. Did you do much post-processing? Just wanted to understand the dynamic range of the 645D.

I have to be there sometime this summer to capture the Rockies.
04-29-2018, 01:41 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Beautiful country...perfect for a medium format camera. My favourite is the last photo....looks like the road to the end of the earth.
05-02-2018, 08:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Prasanta Quote
Great pictures and a great acquisition. Did you do much post-processing? Just wanted to understand the dynamic range of the 645D.

I did do some post processing, but not a huge amount. I brought up the shadows and brought down the highlights, added some contrast and that's about it.

I'm finding the dynamic range to be near equivalent to my D600 so I haven't had any problems at all yet. This sensor handles highlights well and has a lot of detail that can be pulled from the shadows.

Over all I am very pleased with the images it puts out. This was my first outing with the camera, but I can already see that it provides much more detail and a more natural rendering than my D600. It has a little to do with the 40 megapixels, but I think it has more to do with the CCD sensor. I've always preferred CCD sensors when shooting at near base ISO.

---------- Post added 05-02-18 at 09:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Beautiful country...perfect for a medium format camera. My favourite is the last photo....looks like the road to the end of the earth.
Thanks!

Yeah, Trail Ridge Road is an awesome road to ride on. Up higher, that 'end of the earth' feeling is even stronger. It tops out at 12,183 feet.

The road is closed right now since the snow hasn't been cleared away higher up. I rode my electric unicycle a few miles up past the closure but didn't take the camera in case I fell.

05-19-2018, 02:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Prasanta Quote

Here's an example of the shadow and highlight recovery of the 645D.

I think there is plenty to work with compared to newer cameras.