Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Canyon Lake - Texas Hill Country
Posted By: Sailor, 09-07-2008, 02:45 PM

A week or so ago, we made precautionary hotel reservations in San Marcos, TX in case Gustav came our way (we were in the cone of uncertainty); in the event, the reservations were unnecessary but we used them anyway, since retirement is looming and we're considering relocating to the Hill Country area (among other places).

Being sailors, we examined Canyon Lake - a COE lake that is both silt free (the area is rocky, not muddy) and quite deep; consequently, the water has an azure hue that, while not up to the standards of the Bahamas, is beautiful nonetheless.

Here are some random shots of the lake and one the marinas (K10D & DA 18-250) - sailors are clearly well represented. It's a possibility . . . . . although it looks pretty small after so many years of sailing Galveston Bay and Saginaw Bay.

BTW, we now have precautionary reservations in the Austin area, in case Ike decides to pay a visit (we're currently in the bullseye). Frankly, this is one time I hope we get to stay at home and the camera stays in its bag.

Views: 1,829
09-08-2008, 06:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When you are talking about "reservations", are you talking about space for the boat? Just curious if she is in a protected area in Galveston, or do you have to move her each time?
09-08-2008, 04:17 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
When you are talking about "reservations", are you talking about space for the boat? Just curious if she is in a protected area in Galveston, or do you have to move her each time?
Sorry, Tom. I wasn't clear. I'm talking about hotel reservations.

The boat will have to stay where it is, come what may. It's in a well-protected marina with floating docks, stipped of canvas and with double dock lines and spring lines. And . . . . . its insured.

Our real concern is for our house - right now, the NHC's projected path is right on top of where we live, so we're preparing for evacuation. However, a lot can change and the track may be altered significantly. We'll keep our fingers crossed and pray that Ike takes a hike into a county where no one lives!

Jer
09-08-2008, 07:15 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Good luck sailor.

09-08-2008, 08:01 PM   #5

Hi Sailor,

Good luck indeed!

Great exposures on all these.... Nice highlight control on the white boats, which, has a wonderful side effect of beautifully blue skys!

Staying at home is no reason to keep the camera in it's bag!

-Chris
09-09-2008, 02:09 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice series Jer and hopefully Ike will change its mind.

Do take care,
09-09-2008, 06:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Glad to hear all is well Jer ( I have a sister in Katey all was well with her as well) - that is a beautiful location well worthy of retirement consideration I would think. Nice series - love the beach shots.

09-09-2008, 05:35 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, all for the nice words and kind wishes. Right now, Ike (the SOB) is projected to come ashore about 80-90 miles south of us (and about 150 miles south of where the boat is docked); we'll be on the dirty side so Saturday won't be a nice day, but if the forcast track doesn't change too much, we shouldn't see a lot of damage.

Anyway, we're planning to pull out tomorrow evening just to be on the safe side. I can't take all my camera gear, but I'll be traveling with my K10D and my three pancake Limiteds and - I just remembered (!), my battery charger. I might poke a couple of other lenses in the bag as well. Oh, I gotta bring my FE as well.

Frankly, I doubt that there will be all that much drama here when is all is said and done, but our "evacuation" route is first to Brenhem (a possible retirement location) and then to the Austin area (another possible retirement location) - places we were planning to explore anyway.

I'll post images of what we find (if we go) along the way.

Jer
09-09-2008, 09:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

update... are you guys ok? JIMBO
09-10-2008, 04:57 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
update... are you guys ok? JIMBO
Hey, thanks for asking Jimbo.

Yeah, we're OK in a Holiday Inn Express in Brenham, TX, but we're feeling a bit gloomy. The models have moved the storm landfall closer to Lake Jackson, our (current) home. However, there are still over 48 hours to landfall and things may change considerably, so we're keeping our fingers crossed.

I brought my K10D, my three Limiteds, DA 10-17 FE and the A* 85/1.4 that my Dad gave me for Christmas in the mid '80's. I remembered to bring my charger and - in a last minute burst of inspiration - my Pentax and Correl software CD's so I can load the software on my company laptop (which I am using now).

Again, thanks for asking, Jimbo. I'm feeling pretty dismal at this moment; your concern made me feel a good deal better.

Now . . . . . on to Austin; maybe I can get some good shots on 6th street.

Jer