Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Six "Golden" Night shots
Posted By: pop4, 09-07-2008, 10:51 PM

Some night shots. I kind of like the orange-yellowish, "golden" lighting that was there. And despite the shots being taken at night time, the subject itself was pretty bright, so I had to dial in some -ev compensation. I didn't have a tripod with me so they're all hand held.

I can't really work out what I like better, this one, or the next one. I'm thinking both could be improved by putting the building more to the left, with more empty space on the right...

Comments, criticisms, suggestions and all welcome.
Views: 1,274
09-08-2008, 05:20 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
These are just simply stunning!
09-08-2008, 05:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Great series. I thought your thread was about the parachute team GoldenKnights.com: U.S. Army Golden Knights Parachute Team 2008 Air Show Season
09-08-2008, 06:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Very thoughtful of your guests for leaving the lights on for you to snap up

cheers

09-08-2008, 06:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Great work, very nice shots ! I especially like #4 and #5.

I prefer #2 over #1, but I would like it even better with the building more to the right.
09-08-2008, 08:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank's for all the comments guys.

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Great series. I thought your thread was about the parachute team GoldenKnights.com: U.S. Army Golden Knights Parachute Team 2008 Air Show Season
I've never heard of them, but now I have. I guess you do learn something new everyday. With the longest reach of 70mm though, I might have a bit of trouble getting some nice shots
Time for a new lens in the telephoto range methinks...

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Very thoughtful of your guests for leaving the lights on for you to snap up
I think I got pretty lucky with the timing. It seems that during July and August (pretty much Summer time), they extended the opening hours of the place until 9:30pm, meaning I could go up there and shoot. I think it's closed off around 5pm otherwise, although it's still lit up.
09-08-2008, 08:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Very Good, I like them all. I think I prefer #1 to #2 though in each of them I'd like to see the building more off center, and some sort of dynamic line to draw me in... I think if in #1 you had turned a bit more to the right, so as to but the building in the top left, but kept the corner of the drain in the lower right corner, that might have set up a pleasing diagonal line (but I really don't know what I'm talking about).

#5 is my favorite - fantastic. Were these with the 10-20mm Sigma?

BTW I also expected to see skydivers when I clicked on the thread.
09-08-2008, 09:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comment. I think I've got a fair idea of what you're trying to say. Even though I'm aware of the rule of thirds and using leading lines, etc, sometimes I just tend to centre my images a bit too much as in #1 and #2.

The first four were taken with the Sigma 17-70mm and #5 and #6 were with the Sigma 10-20mm. The exif is attached to the image I uploaded to flickr, but they seem to strip it for any of the smaller, resized versions that I used to link here, which is a little bit annoying.

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
BTW I also expected to see skydivers when I clicked on the thread.
Hehehe, sorry to disappoint

09-08-2008, 09:24 PM   #9
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, no tripod! You have a steady hand! I prefer #1 over #2, but I'd crop it some from below.
09-08-2008, 10:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
Thanks for the comment. I think I've got a fair idea of what you're trying to say. Even though I'm aware of the rule of thirds and using leading lines, etc, sometimes I just tend to centre my images a bit too much as in #1 and #2.
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. It's easy to be taken in by a great scene like you had, and everything looks good in the viewfinder when you're there in it. I try to compose with the "rules" in mind when I've got nothing better to do (I should probably read something about photography again it's been quite a while since high school photography class and I'm not even sure what the rules are anymore). I also try to intentionally break 'em as much as I can, often by centering the subject if I can achieve some sort of symmetry.
09-09-2008, 09:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Wow, no tripod! You have a steady hand! I prefer #1 over #2, but I'd crop it some from below.
A steady hand? Perhaps, or maybe it's because I have a Pentax K10D with SR that reduces camera shake for every single lens in my lens collection. No need for expensive IS or VR lenses here!
Keep in mind though, the subject itself is also pretty bright, and the slowest shutter speed was only 1/8, which is still relatively snappy and still a hand-holdable speed.

Thanks for the comment.