Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  
Girl with Cat,1 & 2
Posted By: mcgregni, 05-05-2018, 03:05 PM

My first "Cat Portraits" ..... well we couldn't get him out of the room, so decided she might as well hold him

Pentax K7 - D FA 28-105mm - F9.5 - ISO 100 - 1/180th
Cactus V6II - RF60/RF60x flashes

I've been experimenting with the lights in the small space available in the living room, and have made more seperation from the black curtains with a backlight, one flash in a softbox on the floor behind. The main light is a shoot-through white umbrella.

Thanks for your views and thoughts ..... Nigel

Edit (7th May): Just added another one from the same shoot ......Cat got away ....

Last edited by mcgregni; 05-07-2018 at 05:55 AM. Reason: New Image
Views: 1,381
05-06-2018, 05:04 PM   #16
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Particularly like the effect the kick light has on the left side. Thanks for sharing.

05-07-2018, 05:49 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Two very nicely done portraits. Thanks so much for sharing.
TT
QuoteOriginally posted by photomax7 Quote
The closer their eyes get together the more impact the picture has...very nice portraits mcgregni.
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Great shots and excellent lighting.
QuoteOriginally posted by grog85361 Quote
Well done! Number two in particular, is one to frame and display in the living room.
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Particularly like the effect the kick light has on the left side. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Tony, Photomax7, Rondec, grog and Ash .... I really appreciate your kind words and feedback!

---------- Post added 07-05-18 at 12:52 ----------

Here's another one from the same shoot, hot off the press...

05-07-2018, 09:47 AM   #18
maw
Pentaxian

I like the choice made, you have placed a flash on the right (with umbrella) and one on the back to highlight the texture of the hair.
Did you use the same flash settings as previous cat shots? However very well balanced.
05-07-2018, 10:11 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, the flash power settings were the same, and the placement of the flashes was the same ..... what changed was the positioning of the subject, with slight differences in angle of the head and distance from the camera. Actually the girls were sitting on the floor, and the 'backlight' was in a 24"x24" softbox, which was placed on the floor. I've had difficulties before with a snooted rim light (trying to contain the spread of the light just to the hair), but with kids who won't sit still I found their heads were moving around too much and the effect was changing from shot to shot. So I went here for a wider spread of light from the softbox, with the result that it also catches the offside of the faces, which I thought was quite nice.