Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
A smoky Pilbara sunset
Lens: Sigma 18-125 DC HSM Camera: K-70 Photo Location: Tom Price, WA ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F5 
Posted By: ranmar850, 05-11-2018, 01:04 AM

A large scrub fire must be burning somewhere up here in this vast landscape as the smell is in the air and smoke is muddying the colours of the sky. This was sunset last night, 14-shot pano stitch in PS. very muddy colours.

Views: 950
05-11-2018, 08:19 AM   #2

Nice shot. Possible to make it in panorama, in a stitch? Think it would've made it even better.
05-11-2018, 06:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I had some issues in PS--it was shot as a much wider perspective, but some of the outmost frames just wouldn't stitch up. I didn't have a tripod handy, which is my preferred method of shooting for panos, so my handheld, while careful, may have not had enough overlap. PS is generally very good at matching them up, but several sequences were basically useless.
05-12-2018, 07:54 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ranmar850 Quote
A large scrub fire must be burning somewhere up here in this vast landscape as the smell is in the air and smoke is muddying the colours of the sky. This was sunset last night, 14-shot pano stitch in PS. very muddy colours.
That's quite beautiful! The sky has a unique 3D look to it. Well done!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-12-2018, 02:15 PM   #5
Forum Member

Stunning image, well captured.
05-12-2018, 07:33 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for the kind comments. I've just come to realise how few still photos' I've done this last year, since getting the timelapse bug. It get very addictive , watching the stages of a good sunset. here are some of my better ones , if you are interested. All shot with the K-70 on Interval. All short in duration.

05-13-2018, 01:04 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really interesting time lapses there, all the same or different lenses

05-13-2018, 05:11 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice pano ranmar850...sometimes working the problematic section separately can produce results...then just add it to the main section...I like your time-lapses - very dramatic...had my first go in the seventies with a Super-8 camera...well done.
05-13-2018, 07:34 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
All with the same lens. In fact everything have shot for the last 8 years has been on the same lens, the Sigma DC 1;3.8-5.6 18-125mm HSM. Just such a versatile lens--my only ambition is to add a Samyang 14mm f2.8 for night sky shots. I have Pentax SMC K mounts of all sizes going back to when I first bought Pentax in the seventies, and none of the fixed focal length lenses can better this Sigma, overall.

I use LRTimelapse for processing the TL's . There are more on that page, including some which are edited highlights put together in Premiere for longer sequences. Very enjoyable, and a lot easier to do now than it would have been with a Super- 8 in the seventies, I'll bet :-)
05-14-2018, 03:53 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All with the same lens. In fact everything have shot for the last 8 years has been on the same lens, the Sigma DC 1;3.8-5.6 18-125mm HSM. Just such a versatile lens--my only ambition is to add a Samyang 14mm f2.8 for night sky shots. I have Pentax SMC K mounts of all sizes going back to when I first bought Pentax in the seventies, and none of the fixed focal length lenses can better this Sigma, overall.

I use LRTimelapse for processing the TL's . There are more on that page, including some which are edited highlights put together in Premiere for longer sequences. Very enjoyable, and a lot easier to do now than it would have been with a Super- 8 in the seventies, I'll bet :-)
Thank you for that information, I actually have that same Sigma lens but find I am using my DA, 21, 40 and 70 more these days. I could never get interested in 8mm movies back in the day and rarely do video now but I shall have to start on time lapse now.

I said to this one "we'll go to Australia" and she said "we'll see" 50 years later we're still seeing.
07-27-2018, 01:42 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Those clouds!
07-27-2018, 01:52 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Love the clouds, and there is one advantage to a distant fire, it does add to the colours of the sunset. Love the timelapse work as well!