Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Another Houston Zoo trip
Posted By: dws1117, 09-08-2008, 03:23 PM

Took the family to the Houston zoo again over the weekend. Here's a few from the trip. All were taken with the K200D and the Tamron 70-300 in the late afternoon. Most are straight out of the camera with little to no PP except for re size or a touch of brightening.

These aren't too bad considering all th critters were behind thick glass.

Views: 1,232
09-08-2008, 03:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice set! I've been wanting to go to the Houston zoo also! Was it not too hot for you?
09-08-2008, 03:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paolojackson Quote
Nice set! I've been wanting to go to the Houston zoo also! Was it not too hot for you?
No, it was really quite pleasant. We went late in the day. Got there about 4:30pm and left when the zoo closes at 7:00pm. Also this past weekend was very nice weather.

Thank you for the compliment about the photos.
09-08-2008, 04:25 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These are great zoo shots - all are clear, well composed and interesting. Shooting in a zoo - with ambling people and animals, can be difficult and I've never pulled it off well as you have done.

I've been saying for two years I want to get my camera in the Houston zoo, but have yet to do so. Thanks . . . . . your shots are the prodding I need.

Jer

09-08-2008, 04:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
These are great zoo shots - all are clear, well composed and interesting. Shooting in a zoo - with ambling people and animals, can be difficult and I've never pulled it off well as you have done.

I've been saying for two years I want to get my camera in the Houston zoo, but have yet to do so. Thanks . . . . . your shots are the prodding I need.

Jer

Thanks for the compliment. That zoo is fun and challenging. The challenging part is many of the cages have very small mesh so it can be difficult getting the animal in focus through the fencing. Other enclosures have thick glass which can be fun. Fast lenses are recommended for the inside areas like the snakes and reptiles because use of a flash is almost impossible with the glass and many of the cages aren't very brightly lit. The Tammy does an acceptable job. DA* 50-135 would be almost perfect.

If you go go in the late afternoon or early on weekdays now that school has started. We bought a family season pass and it pays for itself by the second use, but there are 4 of us.