Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Assorted red,red and more red colors.
Lens: Pentax SMC -DA L 55-300mm ED Camera: Pentax k-50 Photo Location: Sherwood Forest. ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F10 
Posted By: Tonytee, 05-14-2018, 11:25 PM

Focal Length @300mm, Manual Exposure Mode, Exp., bias @ 5EV, No flash and used Multi-Segment Metering.

Thanks for viewing.

TT

This image was truly a labor of love. I had to slightly increase brightness to bring out the petals above center to offset the slightly darker petals below center. I use Photo Editor 10 which came with my Dell Windows 10 computer. Photo Editor 10 does not offer a sharpening tool, however it does offer a feature called, "Clarity." What it does is actually remove the peach fuzz in the image which does not make it sharper, but it does make it much clearer. I feel that is a plus because with sharpening tools, you run the risk of Sharpening Artifacts and that is not an attractive affect. All in all, I like the way this turned out. I was impressed with my Canon gear in the way it handles the reds, however my Pentax gear is far superior and am happy that I have it. Tony

Last edited by Tonytee; 05-14-2018 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Additional Information.
Views: 469
05-17-2018, 11:15 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote

Focal Length @300mm, Manual Exposure Mode, Exp., bias @ 5EV, No flash and used Multi-Segment Metering.

Thanks for viewing.

TT

This image was truly a labor of love. I had to slightly increase brightness to bring out the petals above center to offset the slightly darker petals below center. I use Photo Editor 10 which came with my Dell Windows 10 computer. Photo Editor 10 does not offer a sharpening tool, however it does offer a feature called, "Clarity." What it does is actually remove the peach fuzz in the image which does not make it sharper, but it does make it much clearer. I feel that is a plus because with sharpening tools, you run the risk of Sharpening Artifacts and that is not an attractive affect. All in all, I like the way this turned out. I was impressed with my Canon gear in the way it handles the reds, however my Pentax gear is far superior and am happy that I have it. Tony
The shadows give this an interesting look. Thanks for sharing!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-17-2018, 04:11 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The shadows give this an interesting look. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks very much, sir.

TT
06-07-2018, 03:05 AM   #4
Forum Member

To get rid of the Sharpening Artifacts you must use Threshold option found in GIMP, for example. That's why I provide viewers with GIMP processes that way:

x) Unsharp Mask -> 0.4 / .44 / 25 (radius / amount in % - 0.44 = 44 % / threshold)

Sometimes 15 is enough, but lately, especially when there are too much dark areas in my pictures the "25" works better. Even using Unsharp 3 times then I didn't increase color grains or artifacts to a "visibly" level.

You've made truly fiery shot! My 4/5 "stars".

Cheers

06-08-2018, 05:44 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by veraser Quote
To get rid of the Sharpening Artifacts you must use Threshold option found in GIMP, for example. That's why I provide viewers with GIMP processes that way:

x) Unsharp Mask -> 0.4 / .44 / 25 (radius / amount in % - 0.44 = 44 % / threshold)

Sometimes 15 is enough, but lately, especially when there are too much dark areas in my pictures the "25" works better. Even using Unsharp 3 times then I didn't increase color grains or artifacts to a "visibly" level.

You've made truly fiery shot! My 4/5 "stars".

Cheers

Thanks very much for viewing.

TT
06-28-2018, 11:22 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote

Thanks for viewing.

TT

Nice shots!
06-28-2018, 10:50 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Nice shots!

Grateful to you for your comments.

tt