Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Anticipation!
Lens: Pentax DA 18-135mm WR Camera: K-30 Photo Location: Idaho ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F13.5 
Posted By: Dewman, 05-15-2018, 03:37 AM

I think I might have chosen a different place to build my house!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Views: 772
05-15-2018, 06:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
a boulder rolling down would kinda spoil breakfast right?

good work!
05-15-2018, 07:07 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
chosen a different place to build my house!
Aye but it's a natural wind break... offering a wee bit of shelter form all the prevailing winds.
05-15-2018, 07:09 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Terrific shot - what a dramatic thing to have in one's back yard. Sort of like hanging the sword of Damocles back there.

Jer

05-15-2018, 02:37 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautifully done. At first glance I imagined it was somewhere in the Middle East i.e., Israel, Egypt or somewhere around there. Very colorful and interesting photography. Really sharp (Just like the person who took the photograph)

TT
05-15-2018, 10:14 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by françois Quote
a boulder rolling down would kinda spoil breakfast right?

good work!

Yes, it would be a real disaster! This is in an active geological area and have occasional earthquakes..... so, one can only imagine what could happen!
05-16-2018, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Actually it is a very good spot. It’s far enough out from the cliffs that a boulder would stop before getting that far (look at the talus slopes behind it, they’re quite a ways back). Perched above the creek bottom area that can potentially flood. The mid slope area is a sediment ‘delta’ of materials washed out from above, and it takes an extreme rain event to do anything significant for additional change on those. Lowest risk area is right where the house sits.

Yeah, I know, but the geology degrees make ma analyze things l8ke that. I can’t help myself. ��

05-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Who needs an exercise bike when you scale that backdrop on your doorstep...must be some view from the top...striking juxtaposition Dewman.
05-16-2018, 08:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photomax7 Quote
Who needs an exercise bike when you scale that backdrop on your doorstep...must be some view from the top...striking juxtaposition Dewman.

Thanks, Photomax7. I don't have a shot from the top of the mesa, but I do have this shot from a distance that will give you an idea of the surrounding area. This is an overview of the Snake River Valley, taken from the outskirts of a little town called Melba, Idaho.... about 20 miles from my house. Those are the Owhyee Mts. in the distance. Very rugged, nearly treeless and surprisingly produces some record-book elk and mule deer.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K2000  Photo 
05-17-2018, 08:09 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Thanks, Photomax7. I don't have a shot from the top of the mesa, but I do have this shot from a distance that will give you an idea of the surrounding area. This is an overview of the Snake River Valley, taken from the outskirts of a little town called Melba, Idaho.... about 20 miles from my house. Those are the Owhyee Mts. in the distance. Very rugged, nearly treeless and surprisingly produces some record-book elk and mule deer.
Looks like a lovely area to live Dewman...thanks for posting that view.
07-10-2018, 01:33 PM   #11
Pentaxian

The two photos together are needed to give a complete view. Places that are the most beautiful tend to be the most dangerous, and have the weakest financial options, because otherwise hordes of people would ruin the beauty.