Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Possum
Lens: sigma 28 200 Camera: K-1 
Posted By: Dave B, 05-17-2018, 04:26 PM

A rare daylight outing for this little chap.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Views: 715
05-17-2018, 04:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

This doesn't look like any possum I've ever seen. The eyes are far different than the ones we have locally. A very interesting creature.
05-17-2018, 05:55 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
This doesn't look like any possum I've ever seen. The eyes are far different than the ones we have locally. A very interesting creature.
He/she? is the ringtail possum AU version, quite young. It lives on my sisters verandah and his pupils are like pinheads due to the daylight which they usually spend sleeping through. not the best shot but I was as surprised as the possum to see it out and about.
05-17-2018, 06:40 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave B Quote
He/she? is the ringtail possum AU version, quite young. It lives on my sisters verandah and his pupils are like pinheads due to the daylight which they usually spend sleeping through. not the best shot but I was as surprised as the possum to see it out and about.

Dave, I thought it must be a possum from down under, because the possums we have here in the USA are quite different. Viscous little beasts with teeth and jaws like a dog and a bad disposition. Nasty, creepy critters in my opinion. They're nothing like the cute little bug-eyed guy in your photo.

05-17-2018, 07:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dave, I thought it must be a possum from down under, because the possums we have here in the USA are quite different. Viscous little beasts with teeth and jaws like a dog and a bad disposition. Nasty, creepy critters in my opinion. They're nothing like the cute little bug-eyed guy in your photo.
Possums are not vicious unless cornered Dewey! And they eat hundreds of ticks every week! They are great for reducing those nasty things. Possums are funny and eat slugs in the garden also. Porcupines do more damage.
05-17-2018, 08:49 PM - 1 Like   #6
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice shot Dave. Our ringtails (ie Common Ringtail Possum) are light grey rather than the rufous colour of this one. Must be some regional variation.

The early European settlers in Australia called our group possums because they reminded them of the opossums of North America. They aren't related - all our possums are marsupials - that is, they nurture their young in a pouch (like kangaroos and koalas). There are 23 species of possums in Australia, and while some (like Common Ringtails and Common Brushtails) are very common, others are critically endangered.

Last edited by Des; 05-17-2018 at 08:55 PM.
05-17-2018, 08:59 PM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
Lol, they sound nasty. Quite the opposites

---------- Post added 05-17-18 at 09:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Possums are not vicious unless cornered Dewey! And they eat hundreds of ticks every week! They are great for reducing those nasty things. Possums are funny and eat slugs in the garden also. Porcupines do more damage.
Same here harmless till cornered and also good for eating nasties

---------- Post added 05-17-18 at 09:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Nice shot Dave. Our ringtails (ie Common Ringtail Possum) are light grey rather than the rufous colour of this one. Must be some regional variation.

The early European settlers in Australia called our group possums because they reminded them of the opossums of North America. They aren't related - all our possums are marsupials - that is, they nurture their young in a pouch (like kangaroos and koalas). There are 23 species of possums in Australia, and while some (like Common Ringtails and Common Brushtails) are very common, others are critically endangered.
Thanks, sounds like you know your possums. The ones iv'e met over the years seem not to cause any real problems,

05-18-2018, 08:44 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Have to admit its the first Possum I've ever seen , that being said back in the 70's there was this TV sitcom called the Beverly Hillbillies , the old lady acting on the show seemed to be obsessed with Possum always making a stew out of them , don't have them in my part of the woods , now I can say ive seen one or at least a variation of one from reading the posts !! thanks for sharing !!
05-18-2018, 09:48 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Outlander Quote
Have to admit its the first Possum I've ever seen , that being said back in the 70's there was this TV sitcom called the Beverly Hillbillies , the old lady acting on the show seemed to be obsessed with Possum always making a stew out of them , don't have them in my part of the woods , now I can say ive seen one or at least a variation of one from reading the posts !! thanks for sharing !!
My Pleasure, Ive heard they make good stew to but have never tried it. I think this one is a bit cute for the pot.
07-24-2018, 11:40 AM   #10
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

those eyes tho! haha nice one!
07-24-2018, 01:34 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Outlander Quote
I believe the animal they were talking about were 'Possums .... in other words they really were Opossums ..... which do have tiny brains and great hostility. They are also marsupials, incidentally.