Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Newbie here w/ some huge pics (thumbnails in thread, don't worry)
Posted By: Volvo244T, 09-08-2008, 10:42 PM

Hey all, name's Cullen, & I'm in Florence, AL USA. How's THAT for a quick & to-the-point intro? I bet you couldn't guess one of my other hobbies...

All these were taken locally with my *istDL & kit lens, all full-size images are 1280x851 or 851x1280, minor post proccessing was added using The GIMP 2.4 on Linux. (Nothing more than an unsharp mask, and possibly a gamma adjustment on one of the pics - can't remember which)

They're not perfect, as I'm still learning this thing. Constructive criticism welcome, of course. It was a gift, and while it's no K20D, it sure as heck beats running around with a little P&S like I'd been doing for the past 5 or so years. I'm itching to get a telephoto zoom. I'm eyeing the DA 18-250 and the DA 55-300. Opinions?

-C

Last edited by Volvo244T; 09-09-2008 at 12:35 PM. Reason: added signature
Views: 1,668
09-09-2008, 01:09 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Very nice Cullen!

You're definitely developing a good eye! I know you asked for some CC; what I'm going to suggest isn't likely to be what you had in mind but here it is: You don't need CC right now!!!

Like I said, you are developing a really nice style. If you ask for CC on here, you'll get 20 different answers that will lead .... somewhere. Where that leads is likely not to be where your style develops naturally. Photography is an artistic endeavour. Art is an act of unique creation. The images you have created are uniquely yours.

If I said to you right now, "Do this this and this ... and your images would be better...." Too much of me would bleed into your creation.

My suggestion to you. then, is to continue developing your unique and original sense of photographic style ... a style which I very much enjoy btw. Once that is developed, embedded, with strong roots in your psyche, then start asking for CC and ways to improve.

One thing that you will find useful at this moment are not critiques but commentary on your technical skills. More useful information is to find out what people like in your photos and why.

That being said, these are my favorite photos:

I love the symmetry of this one!!!

I really like this abstract. I don't think we see much of this style of photography. Deliberate or not, it would be very interesting to pursue this type of photography for a while.

Photographically speaking, I think this might be my favorite. I don't usually like taking pictures of other forms of art... but this really works. I think that had it been me, I would have cropped this somehow... I leave the how of it to you...

That's it Cullen. Sorry for the length!

Frank.
09-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Frank!
09-09-2008, 12:53 PM   #4
Igilligan

Hi Cullen

Got to agree with Frank the ones he selected would be my choices too. That first one is composed really nicely and the abstract is also right up my alley.

But this is my fave of the bunch. I cropped it a bit tighter to get rid of the edge of the windshield, not sure if I like it better or not... but thought I would try.

As Frank said, you will get lots of advice, but I would just keep shooting, with your eye for comp and subject just see where it takes you.

Attachment 18417

09-09-2008, 01:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the first one and the last. Would be interesting to see another angle on the first one shot closer to the water. Thanks for sharing. JIM