Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
Around the Algonquin Park Visitors Centre
Lens: DFA 28-105 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: ALgonauin Park ISO: 100 Aperture: F11 
Posted By: normhead, 05-21-2018, 02:34 PM

The spring buds are well under way, although I can still find ice in the bush.

And on the way home, a bonus moose.

Last edited by normhead; 05-21-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Views: 747
05-21-2018, 03:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Everything is looking nice and green and healthy.
06-12-2018, 10:00 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the last guy molting seriously?
06-12-2018, 10:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Is the last guy molting seriously?
They look the same every year this time of year. This guy looks pretty good, no ticks. We have had other years where we had to toss all our spring images because of ticks and disease.

06-12-2018, 10:24 AM   #5
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You are doing a good job advertising for the welcome centre and the area as whole. One of these days, maybe I'll get out of the GTA...
06-12-2018, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
You are doing a good job advertising for the welcome centre and the area as whole. One of these days, maybe I'll get out of the GTA...
It's quite possible to think the GTA is Canada. back when I was teaching I'd show images of my canoe trips and some kids questioned if I was in Canada. The Canada they know doesn't include 98% of the country, even if it is most of the population.

In our case, we are only 3.5 hours from Toronto, but most Canadian kids know more about Florida than they do about Canada. The other funny thing about that is the huge numbers of foreign born or second generation Canadians in the park. The Chinese just seem to love the park and what it has to offer. And I've met folks who drive to the park in the morning, stay for an afternoon and then drive home in the evening.

It often seems odd to me that new immigrants feel the urge to explore the country. My Tess has never been out of Ontario. I keep trying to get her out to B.C. You simply can't understand what a mountain is, until you stand in front of it. Some people are just interested in the are where they live and the rest of the world need not exist.

It takes all kinds.

Last edited by normhead; 06-12-2018 at 10:36 AM.
06-12-2018, 02:22 PM   #7
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's quite possible to think the GTA is Canada. back when I was teaching I'd show images of my canoe trips and some kids questioned if I was in Canada. The Canada they know doesn't include 98% of the country, even if it is most of the population.In our case, we are only 3.5 hours from Toronto, but most Canadian kids know more about Florida than they do about Canada. The other funny thing about that is the huge numbers of foreign born or second generation Canadians in the park. The Chinese just seem to love the park and what it has to offer. And I've met folks who drive to the park in the morning, stay for an afternoon and then drive home in the evening.It often seems odd to me that new immigrants feel the urge to explore the country. My Tess has never been out of Ontario. I keep trying to get her out to B.C. You simply can't understand what a mountain is, until you stand in front of it. Some people are just interested in the are where they live and the rest of the world need not exist.It takes all kinds.
I don't think the GTA is Canada even if it is the centre of the Universe

For me, these days, it is more about logistics than anything else because there are too many competing interests and logistical challenges within the family. I still can't see us getting to Algonquin, but if we can manage an overnight trip this summer, I'm all for exploring small town Ontario. One thing we have done a lot over the years, both in Ontario and Maryland is fruit and vegetable picking. I know of a lot of people who would benefit from "learning" that food actually grows somewhere and doesn't just magically appear in a supermarket (or grow inside of tins for that matter).

I understand your comment about the Rockies. And there are a lot of cultural / historical references that make a lot more sense once you've actually explored the terrain yourself.

06-12-2018, 02:26 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I don't think the GTA is Canada even if it is the centre of the Universe

For me, these days, it is more about logistics than anything else because there are too many competing interests and logistical challenges within the family. I still can't see us getting to Algonquin, but if we can manage an overnight trip this summer, I'm all for exploring small town Ontario. One thing we have done a lot over the years, both in Ontario and Maryland is fruit and vegetable picking. I know of a lot of people who would benefit from "learning" that food actually grows somewhere and doesn't just magically appear in a supermarket (or grow inside of tins for that matter).

I understand your comment about the Rockies. And there are a lot of cultural / historical references that make a lot more sense once you've actually explored the terrain yourself.
When living in Toronto, a neighbourhood 10 year old came over and saw my tomato pants in the back yard. She saw the tomatoes and said "Why you messing with me like this. Those come from stores." I went tomato picking once in my teens. That might be a little bit of a harsh way to learn where vegetables come from. Growing a few in your back yard or on your porch with pots might be better.

Last edited by normhead; 06-12-2018 at 02:42 PM.
06-12-2018, 06:45 PM   #9
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

tomato pants i
Do you have any photos of these
06-12-2018, 06:50 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Do you have any photos of these
After you see them you'll be saying "how bout them tomatoes."
06-12-2018, 07:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

It's quite possible to think the GTA is Canada. back when I was teaching I'd show images of my canoe trips and some kids questioned if I was in Canada. The Canada they know doesn't include 98% of the country, even if it is most of the population.

In our case, we are only 3.5 hours from Toronto, but most Canadian kids know more about Florida than they do about Canada. The other funny thing about that is the huge numbers of foreign born or second generation Canadians in the park. The Chinese just seem to love the park and what it has to offer. And I've met folks who drive to the park in the morning, stay for an afternoon and then drive home in the evening.

It often seems odd to me that new immigrants feel the urge to explore the country. My Tess has never been out of Ontario. I keep trying to get her out to B.C. You simply can't understand what a mountain is, until you stand in front of it. Some people are just interested in the are where they live and the rest of the world need not exist.

It takes all kinds.
Some of the locals here have never left the county they were born in and the thought of going to the State Capital is crazy talk to them. Tess should let you take her to BC. Kootenay lake is lovely!