Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
New to Me K-3 II - first outing this weekend - Central Coast California
Camera: K-3 II Photo Location: NoCal 
Posted By: sealonsf, 05-21-2018, 05:38 PM

I recently purchased a used K-3 II from roberts camera on eBay to upgrade from my well-loved K-5. I was hoping the camera would be OK - I don't trust eBay as the best place to buy anything. But, with the low cost, I thought I'd give it a try - you can return the camera if you're not happy with the purchase.

When I got it, it looked brand new, in box with everything in it AND when I did a test shot to use the SD card to check the shutter count it was 2. I was surprised by that. I took it out this weekend for the first time - pretty much blind (meaning I didn't read the user manual much at all). I wanted to just play with it to see what it could do and basically make a lot of mistakes. :-) I had some issues with focusing so will have to learn how to deal with that and I felt a bit like the noise was worse than my K-5 but I know that's not supposed to be the case so it must be user error.

I'm sharing some of the photos I took in Pinnacles National Park and San Simeon, California. I'm also trying out ON1 for the first time so some of these are presets from ON1.

Views: 1,090
05-22-2018, 02:33 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice series thanks for sharing.
05-22-2018, 03:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like you are getting the hang of your new Camera body! Nice series. Shots like this can actually make me miss living in California, but then I go outside after dark and listen to the quiet.
05-22-2018, 10:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is a great set of shots, reminding me how long it's been since I last drove by the Pinnacles on Highway 25, which is a great road for photography in the spring. It always reminds me of what it must have been like to drive from SF to LA in say the 1930's.

I really like your macros #11 and #12 a lot. They have a very artistic and elegant look to them. My favorite though is #14. But I wondered whether you could clone out or heal that dark area at top center and get a more uniform background tone - I think that would make this one a wall hanger. The silhouettes of the birds and rocks, with the subtle lines of water flow and the nice blue color make this one pop.

What do you think about ON1? I used it a few years back but haven't kept up at all, and I'm thinking about trying out the latest version. If you use Lightroom, how does it compare?

05-23-2018, 01:06 AM   #5
Pentaxian

A nice start with your bargain purchase sealonsf...bought a like new Lumix compact camera for my wife from ebay last year...probably sold because the seller had the iso set at 3200 and was getting poor images as a result...I think we both have been extremely lucky with our purchases.
05-23-2018, 09:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by foxandcrow Quote
Nice series thanks for sharing.
Thanks for commenting!

---------- Post added 05-23-2018 at 09:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Looks like you are getting the hang of your new Camera body! Nice series. Shots like this can actually make me miss living in California, but then I go outside after dark and listen to the quiet.
Thanks for commenting!

---------- Post added 05-23-2018 at 09:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
This is a great set of shots, reminding me how long it's been since I last drove by the Pinnacles on Highway 25, which is a great road for photography in the spring. It always reminds me of what it must have been like to drive from SF to LA in say the 1930's.

I really like your macros #11 and #12 a lot. They have a very artistic and elegant look to them. My favorite though is #14. But I wondered whether you could clone out or heal that dark area at top center and get a more uniform background tone - I think that would make this one a wall hanger. The silhouettes of the birds and rocks, with the subtle lines of water flow and the nice blue color make this one pop.

What do you think about ON1? I used it a few years back but haven't kept up at all, and I'm thinking about trying out the latest version. If you use Lightroom, how does it compare?
\

Thanks for the comments. The flower photos you mentioned were taken with a Sigma 28mm f1.8, it's a nice lens but big so I don't take it out very often. I do like that I can get those closeups with it though and it's the fastest lens I have. I agree I should clone out that shadow on the bird on beach photo.

I haven't used ON1 enough to have much of an opinion yet, my first thoughts are that I don't like it as much as DXO PhotoLab but it might grow on me (I'm trying to move away from Lightroom). I think I might be drawn to the presets with ON1, which is either good or bad.

---------- Post added 05-23-2018 at 09:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photomax7 Quote
A nice start with your bargain purchase sealonsf...bought a like new Lumix compact camera for my wife from ebay last year...probably sold because the seller had the iso set at 3200 and was getting poor images as a result...I think we both have been extremely lucky with our purchases.
That is hilarious about the 3200 ISO - I can totally see that happening. Lucky for you! I feel lucky too with my bargain purchase. So far, so good! Thanks for commenting.
05-23-2018, 12:40 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Terrific series - the last one is my favorite. Enjoy your new camera.

Jer

05-24-2018, 09:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

So good and series, like the all. thanks for sharing. cheers
05-24-2018, 11:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Terrific series - the last one is my favorite. Enjoy your new camera.

Jer
Thanks! I'm looking forward to using it in Sumatra, Java, Borneo and Sri Lanka this year! Should be fun.

---------- Post added 05-24-2018 at 11:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
So good and series, like the all. thanks for sharing. cheers
Thanks for commenting!
05-24-2018, 11:12 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sealonsf Quote
When I got it, it looked brand new, in box with everything in it AND when I did a test shot to use the SD card to check the shutter count it was 2.
What a nice find! Nice series. The sharpness of the bunny shows it can produce as it should. I spent a year commuting from Ventura to Palo Alto every week trying to find different interesting routes but at the time I did not do any serious photography. Now I fly up to San Jose and rarely come up with a good excuse to drive the back roads.

Enjoy the K-3ii. Mine has been a joy.
05-25-2018, 10:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jim P Quote
What a nice find! Nice series. The sharpness of the bunny shows it can produce as it should. I spent a year commuting from Ventura to Palo Alto every week trying to find different interesting routes but at the time I did not do any serious photography. Now I fly up to San Jose and rarely come up with a good excuse to drive the back roads.

Enjoy the K-3ii. Mine has been a joy.
Thanks for commenting! I was pleasantly surprised at how sharp that bunny is - most of my lenses are not exactly high end. I try to get out in the spring around where we live before it gets too hot and crowded. :-)
05-25-2018, 10:37 AM   #12
Pentaxian

some familiar places there. congrats and welcome!