Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
I have new old lenses too
Posted By: mel, 09-09-2008, 02:27 PM

I've been doing the ebay thing and acquiring some new old lenses. Some are better than others. So I've been testing them out in a variety of conditions so I'll know how best to use them.

These were taken with an SMC Pentax-M 1:1.7. I think I shot them at f/1.7, and I had three CU filters stacked on the end (that are also old - from I think about '82-ish). It's a cheap way to go macro but I think some of the sharpness is lost with all the extra layers of glass.

They're kind of cool flowers but disappointing. My husband likes lilies but I'm not crazy about them. He thought these were cool from the pictures in the catalog so he bought them. They grew into the spindly ugly typical lily plants and the flowers are itty-bitty, about the size of a US quarter. I was disappointed. I hide the flower catalogs from him now.

I was thinking of submitting one or two of these to ppg. Should I bother?

I have a takumar on it's way to me now. I can't wait to see what that one can do.

Last edited by mel; 09-09-2008 at 04:33 PM. Reason: typo
Views: 2,610
09-09-2008, 02:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
WOW.. I done,, no more to add. JIMBO
09-09-2008, 02:56 PM   #3

Those are really nice especially with the depth of field. I think I might look into a close up filter for the M 50 1.7 as I recently got it as well and it seems like the minimum focusing distance is longer than usual.
09-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Those look great, Mel.....I love the bright colors. I think I still have an old 3-pc Vivitar CU filter set. if I can find them, I may have to try to get results like that.

09-09-2008, 04:04 PM   #5
Damn Brit

Really nice Mel, I like the first one best.
09-09-2008, 04:32 PM   #6
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks everyone, as I am just now noticing my typo in the title. Dang. I wish I could edit that. Sorry I look like such an grammatical ignoramous.

My filter set is labeled Gemko and I bought them way back when I was still shooting the Spotmatic . I don't know the proper proscribed method of their use. I bought them on a whim way back when. I just stack them on until I like what I see through the lens (ooooo pretty). Maybe I'd get better results if I had a clue what I was doing.

Thanks for looking and the comments.

Edit: Oh yea! I figured out how to fix the title! Oh wait, maybe not. Darn. Hey forum people!! Let us fix the thread titles when we goof up and make fools of ourselves!!!

Last edited by mel; 09-09-2008 at 04:40 PM. Reason: adding stuff
09-09-2008, 04:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Hey forum people!! Let us fix the thread titles when we goof up and make fools of ourselves!!!
That's funny!

09-09-2008, 05:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Mel

its all that Lucy in the Sky stuff

Newspaper taxis appear on the shore waiting to take you away

09-09-2008, 06:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Very cool close-up shots Mel,
the low tech factor is a plus
09-09-2008, 06:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Hey Mel,
Anyone who pays attention to grammatical errors or typos when there are photos like you posted to look at, needs some medication.
09-09-2008, 07:08 PM   #11
JMR
Veteran Member

I don't know about Lucy in the sky with diamonds as I thought it was in disguise with diamonds. No matter, like my impression of the song, my impression of these photos is good. Selective focus is well done, but for me no-3 is outstanding! Beautifully balanced in shape and colour so that its ethereal qualities stand out.

JMR
09-09-2008, 07:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Just in case people thought I was out of line

My comments on the Lucy In the Sky relate to Mel's comment in another thread that she cannot get the song out of her mind.

QuoteQuote:

These make me think of the Beatle's song "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds." I can't get it out of my head now after looking at these for the first time a couple hours ago. Very dreamy, vivid and downright cool.

mel
09-09-2008, 07:20 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Thanks everyone, as I am just now noticing my typo in the title. Dang. I wish I could edit that. Sorry I look like such an grammatical ignoramous.

My filter set is labeled Gemko and I bought them way back when I was still shooting the Spotmatic . I don't know the proper proscribed method of their use. I bought them on a whim way back when. I just stack them on until I like what I see through the lens (ooooo pretty). Maybe I'd get better results if I had a clue what I was doing.
Looks like you have the technique down pat. To the best of my knowledge you just stack them up. Order is not important.

I have a set of Hoya CU filters that I originally purchased for my Canon G2 and that I also use on occasion with my K10D. The results are generally pretty good, though maybe not as good as the highly regarded Raynox product. They reduce the sharpness somewhat (especially towards the edges) and introduce a few aberrations, but it is a heck of a lot cheaper, lighter, and more compact than lugging around a macro lens or bellows setup.

Steve
09-09-2008, 08:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Very nice. The old lenses sure are fun. I may have to look into some CU filters.
09-09-2008, 08:32 PM   #15

Great shots. I like #1 the best. Details look great.