Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Galaxy C5 opened and closed 7 pictures
Posted By: vievetrick, 09-09-2008, 06:17 PM

We went to the airshow this weekend and took lots of pictures. One little series I thought I would share as more informational and I thought it was cool to watch. We went on the last day to Great New England Air Show Of course we went for the Thunderbirds (stay tuned later for new thread) but Westover Air Base (Chicopee Mass.) Is home to the Galaxy C5's Factsheets : C-5 Galaxy : C-5 Galaxy it is basically a football field (just shy at 247feet long) with wings. They fly over and it is amazing to believe they can get off the ground. Anyway, they are huge and are used for transporting cargo. Below is a series showing the nose opened and than what it look like closed up. Pretty wild to watch. Or maybe stupid and no one will care. Let me know either way. Shot with K10 and 16-45

From the side you can see the opening is huge It can be loaded from the front and the rear.

Up comes the ramp

Down comes the nose

And she is ready to fly

Me and my son with the C5 in the background. Stay tuned as well for Joe's shots of the show.

Views: 3,338
09-09-2008, 08:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice and informative post showing the closing of the nose.
I particularly like the perspective given in 5 and 6; it makes the C5 look fat and silly, hehe
09-09-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Huge doesnt even describe it nicely done

cheers
09-09-2008, 08:40 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
Nice and informative post showing the closing of the nose.
I particularly like the perspective given in 5 and 6; it makes the C5 look fat and silly, hehe
Fat and silly - never heard the ol' bird described quite that way but it sure fits... Climb into the cockpit of a C-5 and you may get a different perspective - you're as high as a 5th-floor window up there.

Pat, you have some great shots, it's very cool to have them actually operating the nose at an airshow, you got to see something out of hte ordinary.

Jim

09-09-2008, 08:50 PM   #5

Don't mean to hijack this thread but I thought I would add a pic that I took while attending a nascar race in Vegas earlier this year. When you see one of these things in person you can't believe they can get off the ground.

View Picture EXIF
Name:  310.JPG
Views: 665
Size:  197.8 KB
09-09-2008, 10:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Great photo's! Thanks for posting.
09-10-2008, 03:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Pat, nice shots! that's great that they closed the nose while you were there. I've seen one of these in person, they sure are big!

09-10-2008, 03:52 AM   #8
mel
Veteran Member

Football field with wings. Lol. That's funny. So is the fat and silly comment. Both apt as well. That is one huge plane. It would be a fun place to throw a party though. Nice shots and thanks for sharing.
09-10-2008, 05:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Those are great. #2 is my favorite. It really shows how large that this really is.
09-10-2008, 06:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member

As I have said in many other aircraft threads, when I was young we seldom missed airshows and "Operation: Handshake" events at one of our area's military airbases. A C-5 flown in from California was always a great attraction and marvel. Once we stayed late enough and parked outside the base at one end of the airstrip to witness this great flying whale gently foat into the air. For it's size, cargo capacity and power, they are surprisingly quiet. Gentle giants of the blue yonder.
Thank you for showing us the images.
09-10-2008, 06:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dws1117 Quote
Those are great. #2 is my favorite. It really shows how large that this really is.
this one is bigger

50 35'20.57"N 30 12'22.00"E - Google Maps
09-10-2008, 08:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Very nice shots, especially the next to last wide angle oveall view. They are BIG suckers... I flew on a virtually empty one once and the crew set up a volleyball court in the main cargo hold. We played volleyball halfway across the Atlantic.

Last edited by MRRiley; 09-10-2008 at 08:26 AM.
09-11-2008, 05:51 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Brings back old memories. In my former life as a USAF navigator I had the opportunity to be transporting flight crews in an old Ford station wagon on the flight line. Your shot number 6 reminds me of what I saw in the rear view mirror taxiing about 50 feet behind me on the flight line one trip. Talk about things in the mirror being closer than they look!