Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
7 Likes  #1
Common Poorwill
Lens: DFA 150-450 Camera: K3 Photo Location: Eastern Cascades, WA ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: riseform, 05-29-2018, 08:43 PM

One of my favorite birds, not only for the beautiful night time call but also for its apparent ability to hibernate. Its call, to me, is one of the welcome nocturnal sounds of summer, heard usually while owling or photographing the milky way.

Having never found one in the daylight hours (so well camouflaged) I came upon this one while listening and looking for flammulated owls (3rd year of trying there, many heard, one seen, zero photographed).

Lucky to have a friend with me this night, able to aim a flashlight for a quick focus, allowing me to get the shot. It flew by my head around midnight and landed on a rock just below me on a very steep hillside.
Camera and flash (on an elevated flash bracket) were set on a "night owl" USER mode with the above settings for nocturnal owl photography. Contrary to the Flickr data, the flash did fire and was my primary source of light.

Cross posted from the DFA 150-450 lens club, but I wanted to share what I think is a rarely photographed and quite beautiful bird.

Views: 516
05-29-2018, 09:59 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wonderful photograph. There is a lot say for being in the right place at the right time. Thanks so much for sharing.

TT
05-30-2018, 03:49 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a lovely photograph of a really beautiful bird.

Excellent detail from the 150-450, and a great result at ISO 800
05-30-2018, 05:20 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by riseform Quote
a rarely photographed and quite beautiful bird.

That is a great capture--I've only seen a few nightjars in my adventures afield. (I will confess, though, that as a veteran fly dresser, its pelt is giving me dark thoughts about skinning knives and fistfuls of Borax.)

05-30-2018, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That's one unusual looking bird...doubt there's anything like it over here...fine capture.
05-30-2018, 03:43 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of my favorite birds, not only for the beautiful night time call but also for its apparent ability to hibernate. Its call, to me, is one of the welcome nocturnal sounds of summer, heard usually while owling or photographing the milky way.

Having never found one in the daylight hours (so well camouflaged) I came upon this one while listening and looking for flammulated owls (3rd year of trying there, many heard, one seen, zero photographed).

Lucky to have a friend with me this night, able to aim a flashlight for a quick focus, allowing me to get the shot. It flew by my head around midnight and landed on a rock just below me on a very steep hillside.
Camera and flash (on an elevated flash bracket) were set on a "night owl" USER mode with the above settings for nocturnal owl photography. Contrary to the Flickr data, the flash did fire and was my primary source of light.

Cross posted from the DFA 150-450 lens club, but I wanted to share what I think is a rarely photographed and quite beautiful bird.

This bird is very hard to notice . . Congratulations on a fine image .
05-31-2018, 11:57 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Awesome camouflage on the bird!

Nice photo, I imagine they're not easy to spot
06-01-2018, 02:35 PM   #8
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

So pretty! But it has whiskers!

07-03-2018, 07:38 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One of my favorites too. Nothing common about it.
07-03-2018, 09:39 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
So pretty! But it has whiskers!
The nightjar family (Caprimulgidae) feeds on the wing on flying insects. A nightjar's rictal bristles (whiskers -- modified feathers) help to funnel its prey into its huge gape without adding wind resistance that conventional feathers would create.
07-03-2018, 09:44 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Nice capture! Thank you for sharing.
07-03-2018, 09:56 AM   #12
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
The nightjar family (Caprimulgidae) feeds on the wing on flying insects. A nightjar's rictal bristles (whiskers -- modified feathers) help to funnel its prey into its huge gape without adding wind resistance that conventional feathers would create.
That is very cool to know. The bird is quite beautiful too! More learning occurring on the Pentax Forums!