Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Dewman gets Arrested!
Photo Location: So, China Sea 
Posted By: Dewman, 06-01-2018, 07:46 PM

I was getting in my flight time hours and when I came in for a recovery, a buddy of mine in the greenhouse took my picture. Getting launched off the deck of an aircraft carrier and then coming in and snagging the cable is one heck of a ride for a 20-year-old kid! Better than Disneyland!

Attached Images

Views: 668
06-01-2018, 08:07 PM   #2
Resident Bagpiper
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks for posting, I really enjoy seeing old military photos.
06-01-2018, 08:37 PM   #3
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is that an old E-1? We had the E-2C hummers when I was aboard Connie.
06-01-2018, 09:58 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you.

06-01-2018, 11:20 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I was getting in my flight time hours and when I came in for a recovery, a buddy of mine in the greenhouse took my picture. Getting launched off the deck of an aircraft carrier and then coming in and snagging the cable is one heck of a ride for a 20-year-old kid! Better than Disneyland!
Very cool- must have been fun! Thanks for sharing

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-02-2018, 06:42 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
And +1 for the F8 Crusader down in the corner.
06-02-2018, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the positive comments. And yes, Kozlok.... the F-8 was by far my favorite plane on the ship! I've seen it do some high speed, low-level fly-bys at about flight deck level (60 ft +/- above the water) at near or faster that the speed of sound and it's impossible to describe the sensory overload of such a thing so close to you! When the pilot would pull up, you could actually see the wings flex from the G-forces! True story!

---------- Post added 06-02-18 at 08:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Is that an old E-1? We had the E-2C hummers when I was aboard Connie.

Tom, I don't remember the exact nomenclature of the plane, but it was always in the air when we had planes flying over enemy territory. It was a "forward air controller," I think it was called. It's mission was to alert our pilots of any incoming enemy fighters. I've got one heck of a crazy story that happened during one of those flights that maybe I can tell about, when the time and place is right.
06-02-2018, 11:32 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Ah...what memories you're bringing back. I only had the "pleasure" of a launch (no landings) the day I left the carrier in a C2A COD (carrier onboard delivery) heading for Clark AFB, then on Travis AFB, then on to Treasure Island for discharge.

06-02-2018, 01:44 PM   #9
JEF
Forum Member

I love the prop blur.
06-02-2018, 01:53 PM   #10

Don't carrier pilots describe carrier light landings as "sex in a car wreck"?
06-02-2018, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Ah...what memories you're bringing back. I only had the "pleasure" of a launch (no landings) the day I left the carrier in a C2A COD (carrier onboard delivery) heading for Clark AFB, then on Travis AFB, then on to Treasure Island for discharge.

Tom, what a strange coincidence! I flew OUT of Travis AFB on a C-141 to Clark Field, then caught the USS Sacramento and sailed out into the combat zone and was bosun-chaired onto the Tico! Kinda' the reverse of what you did.

---------- Post added 06-02-18 at 03:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Don't carrier pilots describe carrier light landings as "sex in a car wreck"?

Yep, I've heard it called that.... and I can somewhat concur, although landing in a E2C or a COD is far from what landing in a F-8 or A-4 is like! Those guys have cajones the size of basketballs! Especially during night ops. Imagine landing in the rain and wind at midnight, with the flight deck pitching up and down! Those men have my utmost respect. I think, if truth be known, they've got something very special in their DNA.
06-02-2018, 02:35 PM   #12
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, I've heard it called that.... and I can somewhat concur, although landing in a E2C or a COD is far from what landing in a F-8 or A-4 is like! Those guys have cajones the size of basketballs! Especially during night ops. Imagine landing in the rain and wind at midnight, with the flight deck pitching up and down! Those men have my utmost respect. I think, if truth be known, they've got something very special in their DNA.
They wired up Carrier pilots with EKG and blood pressure and pulse monitors and their BP, adrenaline levels and heart rate were much higher doing carrier landings at night than when in actual combat. It is a tough business, and the ones who qualify love to let folks know why their egos are the size of the hangar deck!
06-02-2018, 03:01 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
They wired up Carrier pilots with EKG and blood pressure and pulse monitors and their BP, adrenaline levels and heart rate were much higher doing carrier landings at night than when in actual combat. It is a tough business, and the ones who qualify love to let folks know why their egos are the size of the hangar deck!

Some of those men flew 3 missions in a 24-hour period! And, did it in all kinds of weather, at all times of the day and night. I can't even imagine something like that. Not in my wildest dreams!

During night ops, we still had to man the video camera in the greenhouse. It was so surreal! The flight deck lined with red lights and that's it! Just some dim red lights showing them where the edge of the flight deck was. Other than their perimeter lights on the aircraft, they were difficult to see until then were almost ready to touch down. Man.... you guys are sure taking me way back in time. I'd give anything if I could spend just one more day on the flight deck, between the launch rails and ducking when that roaring F-8 got shot off the deck! Just to smell the smells and feel my insides move around from the sound waves! What a rush!

Last edited by Dewman; 06-02-2018 at 03:07 PM.
06-02-2018, 03:25 PM   #14
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Last of the Gunfighters, now just a memory. The Crusader was a world speed record holder multiple times when the USSR and the USA used to compete to show the world whos aircraft were better. They had to refrigerate the Fuel so they could carry enough for both directions over the course in full burner!
06-10-2018, 09:19 AM   #15
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Last of the Gunfighters, now just a memory. The Crusader was a world speed record holder multiple times when the USSR and the USA used to compete to show the world whos aircraft were better. They had to refrigerate the Fuel so they could carry enough for both directions over the course in full burner!
And here I expected to see handcuffs and a jail cell - glad it's not!!