Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
From You To Me, Pinky Lee. :))
Lens: Olympus M.Zuiko ED 40~150mm Camera: Olympus EPL-1 Photo Location: Sherwood Forest. ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: Tonytee, 06-06-2018, 10:32 PM

Focal Length @ 100mm, Normal Exposure Mode, No flash and used Mult-Segment Metering. I decided to break out my Mt. Olympus gear today and with some wonderful weather, I had a lot of fun.

Thanks for viewing.

TT

Last edited by Tonytee; 06-06-2018 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Additional Information.
Views: 650
06-07-2018, 02:06 AM   #2
veraser

Hi,

I don't know why viewers are afraid to comment others' works, or/and assign "stars" or "likes".

I've looked over your flowers in flickr, seome where good, some excellent and few close to "ideal" images. Let sum up on this example.
Many people shoot such flowers with delicate, muslin background using pastel shades of greens, browns, yellows (sort of watercolors), etc. Sometimes the backgrounds are so much OOF (out of focus) there're no places for bokeh effects. It's up to them, their sensitivity, or photo fad. A lot of snapshooters pay attention to composition, others look at image sharpness.

Sharpness can be achieved by PP or GIMP etc, but DOF (depth of field) belongs to the world of lenses (aperture). Of course You know the things very well, I wrote so lengthy to those who entered this photography kingdom.

Do you think the above picture would gained much if you sharpened it a little and/or worked over a little with the brown (aka dirty) background?

I hope you'll not be touched or offended by my words. I wait for such comments to my images but to no avail. I still learn passively looking through other works and comparing them actively with mine "production".

Cheers
06-07-2018, 06:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Very nice image, I like the distinct colours.

QuoteOriginally posted by veraser Quote
Do you think the above picture would gained much if you sharpened it a little and/or worked over a little with the brown (aka dirty) background?
Interesting that you should say this, I quite like the more busy background - it gives a sense of realness to the photo.
Also the slight softness makes the flower more delicate, one could say. I guess everyone has different tastes.
Cheers!
06-07-2018, 07:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like it, it looks real enough to smell the fragrance from here.

06-07-2018, 10:46 AM   #5
veraser

"Tastes" issues...

Academic analysis.

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Interesting that you should say this, I quite like the more busy background - it gives a sense of realness to the photo.
I have the same feelings.

Also the slight softness makes the flower more delicate, one could say.
But of course! That's why I asked. How others see such images. You pointed me how you see it. Good. So there are people evincing common sense yet, who do not look at the pixel level and look for tack razor images. The only question is if such softy picture conveys the message correctly. My eyes see things sharp in reality. What about you? Artificial softness applied to picture may be right, or not, worse, it may not create the mood corresponding to romantic aura.

I guess everyone has different tastes.
Well, if we have boiled down every remark to the question of "tastes", we would shut down our mouths ourselves. That everyone has different taste is one of fundamental human axioms. If asking here why this or that was used, done or applied to image in photography and was seen or has been deemed "offensive", it will down us to the level tantamount to digging out the "dirt" of PC ("who offended who with what"). I'll vanish from such forum for sure. But keep smiling, I wanna learn a lot here so I'll be asking, even it might be touching so called "tastes".

Thanks for Your reply. Cheers!
06-07-2018, 04:27 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by veraser Quote
Hi,

I don't know why viewers are afraid to comment others' works, or/and assign "stars" or "likes".

I've looked over your flowers in flickr, seome where good, some excellent and few close to "ideal" images. Let sum up on this example.
Many people shoot such flowers with delicate, muslin background using pastel shades of greens, browns, yellows (sort of watercolors), etc. Sometimes the backgrounds are so much OOF (out of focus) there're no places for bokeh effects. It's up to them, their sensitivity, or photo fad. A lot of snapshooters pay attention to composition, others look at image sharpness.

Sharpness can be achieved by PP or GIMP etc, but DOF (depth of field) belongs to the world of lenses (aperture). Of course You know the things very well, I wrote so lengthy to those who entered this photography kingdom.

I hope you'll not be touched or offended by my words. I wait for such comments to my images but to no avail. I still learn passively looking through other works and comparing them actively with mine "production".

Cheers

Hi Verasa. Your comments are truly appreciated. There have been times when I thought I was doing everything correctly, only to discover in my Computer Monitor, that all I did was to create an abomination. At that point I will upload into the "Critique Section". No offense taken and again, your input is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Tonytee.

---------- Post added 06-07-18 at 04:31 PM ----------

Very nice image, I like the distinct colours.

Also the slight softness makes the flower more delicate, one could say. I guess everyone has different tastes.
Cheers!
Well sir, those are my thoughts exactly. It is outdoors in Mother Nature which has given us so many wonderful and free gifts and I enjoy passing them on to others.

Thanks so much for your feedback.

Tonytee