Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
6 Likes  #1
AF-C Pentax K1 ll Test
Lens: Pentax 150-450 + Rc 1,4x Camera: Pentax K1 ll Photo Location: Spain 
Posted By: colodion, 06-07-2018, 11:41 AM

Hi the AF-C of the new Pentax K1 ll seems more agile than that of the classic, with uniform background has no problem, even with small birds, with the contrasted fox loses focus less than the K1.

In flirck are all the tests with the exif
Pablo Colodion | Flickr

Views: 1,604
06-07-2018, 01:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Can only see the second picture on Flickr, but you get bonus points for the mosaic, very artsy!
And a nice gallery overall, with plenty of nice shots.
06-07-2018, 02:01 PM   #3
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What settings did you use Pablo? (This has been a much-discussed question here, albeit mainly about the APS-C cameras.)
06-07-2018, 02:11 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
What settings did you use Pablo? (This has been a much-discussed question here, albeit mainly about the APS-C cameras.)
Pablo Colodion | Flickr

Read more at: AF-C Pentax K1 ll Test - PentaxForums.com

06-07-2018, 11:49 PM   #5
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Pablo Colodion | Flickr

I don't mean the shutter speed/ISO/aperture. What I meant was, what menu settings (e.g. AF hold settings) and what AF point selection? This is the sort of discussion about these things: best settings for K-3 and birding - PentaxForums.com
06-07-2018, 11:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what lovely birds to experiment on
06-08-2018, 01:13 PM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Can only see the second picture on Flickr, but you get bonus points for the mosaic, very artsy!
And a nice gallery overall, with plenty of nice shots.
A very good news for the K1 ll finally in AF.C works the Catch in bone that if it is not focused the image does not shoot the camera, it has always worked in AF.S

Thanks, the mosaic is on page 2

---------- Post added 06-08-18 at 10:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
AF.C with 9 and 33 points in automatic that is how it works faster, now that the Catch in works, the focus is better.

---------- Post added 06-08-18 at 10:38 PM ----------

Thanks

---------- Post added 06-08-18 at 10:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
what lovely birds to experiment on
Thanks

---------- Post added 06-08-18 at 10:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Pablo Colodion | Flickr

Thanks

06-08-2018, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #8
Marketplace Reseller

These are amazing, even better than I can do, however where are the sequences that prove the camera can track? I am not trying to hijack your post, what you've got is quite impressive.

EDIT: Now looking closer I see at least one long sequence

I got these with the K-1

5 of 6 in focus

7 of 8 in focus (edited to a link to make it easier to navigate the thread)
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/k-1/birds/portcreditmix/imag...P03480-87a.jpg

Last edited by MightyMike; 06-09-2018 at 02:57 PM.
06-09-2018, 01:41 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MightyMike Quote
These are amazing, even better than I can do, however where are the sequences that prove the camera can track? I am not trying to hijack your post, what you've got is quite impressive.

EDIT: Now looking closer I see at least one long sequence

I got these with the K-1

5 of 6 in focus

7 of 8 in focus
Hi, if you focus on the first one, the tracking is fine. Continuous shot is very slow and the series do not seem to be followed.
The approach has improved with respect to the K1 that I also have already with 40,000 shots.
The Catch-in in AF.C activated with the new Fimware helps a lot, although when I photographed the bee eater I did not realize that they had activated it with the new Fimware.
06-09-2018, 02:56 PM   #10
Marketplace Reseller

QuoteOriginally posted by colodion Quote
Hi, if you focus on the first one, the tracking is fine. Continuous shot is very slow and the series do not seem to be followed.
The approach has improved with respect to the K1 that I also have already with 40,000 shots.
The Catch-in in AF.C activated with the new Fimware helps a lot, although when I photographed the bee eater I did not realize that they had activated it with the new Fimware.
What is this Catch-in in AF.C I know about Catch in focus and I think it works in AF.C with a manual lens
06-10-2018, 01:59 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
What is this Catch-in in AF.C I know about Catch in focus and I think it works in AF.C with a manual lens
Now the link of the swallow has come out, impressive.
The Catch-in works independently of a manual lens or AF.
In all the Pentax has only worked in AF.S, the K1 ll is the first one that works in AF.C.
I have always used it, the camera does not shoot until the focus is confirmed and the percentage of success is much higher. It never works with the dissociated AF button.
06-10-2018, 02:13 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm interested too. Does it do the same on a K3ii or us that a new feature ?

06-10-2018, 04:56 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ian.morgan Quote
I'm interested too. Does it do the same on a K3ii or us that a new feature ?
The Catch-in works in all the Pentax from the K10, always in AF.S, the K1 ll is the first one that works in AF.C. Both in manual lenses and AF.
In none of the previous cameras works in AF.C. I have updated the firmware of the K1 and the K3ll and they do not work in AF.C.
You have to activate it in the camera menu, Catch-in "open" and do not dissociate the focus button.
06-10-2018, 06:34 AM   #14
Marketplace Reseller

QuoteOriginally posted by colodion Quote
The Catch-in works in all the Pentax from the K10, always in AF.S, the K1 ll is the first one that works in AF.C. Both in manual lenses and AF.
In none of the previous cameras works in AF.C. I have updated the firmware of the K1 and the K3ll and they do not work in AF.C.
You have to activate it in the camera menu, Catch-in "open" and do not dissociate the focus button.
Can you be more specific as to where this setting is, I can't seem to find it on my K-1 II, I know about the Catch-in Focus custom menu option but you've got "on" and "off" as your options and thats been there for all models for a long time. Also does this only work with MF lenses and SDM-like lenses? or does it also work with screw drive lenses?
06-10-2018, 07:43 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
Can you be more specific as to where this setting is, I can't seem to find it on my K-1 II, I know about the Catch-in Focus custom menu option but you've got "on" and "off" as your options and thats been there for all models for a long time. Also does this only work with MF lenses and SDM-like lenses? or does it also work with screw drive lenses?
The lens is indifferent manual, screw drive or SDM, always even if it is a manual lens the lever of the camera has to be in AF, in the menu of camera No. 1 Focus-priority must be put

---------- Post added 06-10-18 at 05:21 PM ----------

Some images of the steps that must be done in the menu.
Always Focus Priority

Pablo Colodion | Flickr

Last edited by colodion; 06-10-2018 at 08:16 AM.