Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A toy can too!
Posted By: veraser, 06-07-2018, 02:01 PM

There's a saying that everyone can use every smartphone and make good or excellent and interesting pictures.

That's typical example making from people idiots. Nothing is far from the truth than the stupid saying. If not idiotic it says only half truth.

To use smartphone and make something unique one has to learn photography/photographing. Basics at least. Those much vaunted images, which I could watch on Youtube videos, were always made by professionals, semi-professionals or advanced photographers. And only this direction may bring fruits. Not the other way!

I've spent years clicking Canon PowerShot A590 IS and Panasonic Lumix DMC-LS80, both 8 MP cameras. I made and still make a lot of errors using them. The worst thing came when loaded with fresh knowledge about cameras, lenses and photo tips and tricks, gained here among many sources, I tried to apply the photographic know-how to my so called "toy" cameras.

Digression: They are rather toy family cameras, not toys only. But you have to know what to do with it and don't and how. Photographic sensibility would be a very good asset.

The results were tragic and horrible. I was fully lost, no image was good. You cannot shoot using compact aka toy camera thinking in DLSR categories!

Thanks God I came to senses quickly and you can cherish your eyes with such snaps like that one below. I hope so, you'll be glad.

See A Study in Pink album (three images - original, corrected and diminished corrected). You'll quickly find out which is which, you are Pentaxians, in the end!

This time I've taken advantage of older images, made few months ago and corrected in those times. So, no GIMP data.

Cheers!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-LS80  Photo 

Last edited by veraser; 06-07-2018 at 02:06 PM.
Views: 693
06-07-2018, 02:15 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a very lovely floral photo

I will, however, offer an alternate view-point if I may...

With small-sensor compact cameras - especially those with little or no manual control - you're left with composition and lighting as the key creative elements, and those apply to any photograph, whatever camera you're using. Add to that dealing with limitations of the equipment, which might mean using a tripod for slow shutter speeds and low ISO, or lighting with flashlights because the flash unit is fixed and not very powerful. There are plenty of other limitations we could discuss, but my point is, one has to be creative in working around them when using a compact camera. But the same fundamental rules apply whether using a DSLR, SLR, compact, toy digital or film camera.

With more advanced compacts that offer some degree of manual control over ISO, shutter speed and possibly aperture, the same technical rules as used for DSLRs do generally apply, IMHO. But we have to understand how they relate to the performance of the camera and its sensor, lens and image processing engine.
06-07-2018, 02:37 PM   #3
veraser

Thanks a lot!

I consider profs as creative people with enough "imaginative" resources. For me you rather confirmed all the limitations one has when he starts to shoot with whatever one has. Having good rig on the first steps into photo world there's a greater chance he'll learn to harness photo techniques and all the photo issues.

My thesis was only one - do not start with (....), start to learn with something much better. Then polish your skills as much as you can and only then try your luck with your ()phone.

Cheers!

Last edited by veraser; 06-07-2018 at 02:44 PM. Reason: style
06-07-2018, 03:04 PM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by veraser Quote
My thesis was only one - do not start with (....), start to learn with something much better. Then polish your skills as much as you can and only then try your luck with your ()phone.
That's certainly a valid approach...

But really good photos can be taken with any equipment, no matter how basic, if the subject, story, composition and lighting are there. Getting those elements right is the most important thing, IMHO. Better equipment gives the photographer more creative options and technical capability to deal with a wider range of situations and desired outcomes. But if the fundamentals of the image aren't compelling, we can still end up with poor, uninteresting photographs. Snapshots, essentially.

One great thing about shooting with a largely-automated compact camera (or camera phone) with little manual control is that you're forced to concentrate on the fundamentals. There are many amateur photographers who know a lot more about the technical aspects of their equipment than they know about the fundamentals of a good photograph (I'm still in that position, to some extent - though getting better every day).

So, I think starting off with a basic compact camera or phone can actually be a good thing if you're advised and guided to concentrate on acquiring the right skills. But it's also fun to return to a simple camera every now and then, to force yourself to focus on the fundamentals

06-07-2018, 10:58 PM   #5
veraser

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
But really good photos can be taken with any equipment, no matter how basic, if the subject, story, composition and lighting are there. Getting those elements right is the most important thing, IMHO. Better equipment gives the photographer more creative options and technical capability to deal with a wider range of situations and desired outcomes. But if the fundamentals of the image aren't compelling, we can still end up with poor, uninteresting photographs. Snapshots, essentially.
Both yes, an no. I click one subject many times sometimes as I had no feedback from my camera. Where are the basic data which I'd like to see when clicking? How to check the subject is in focus, where to touch to correct manually, etc. In short - how to fix together all the basics "story, composition and lighting" having no control e.g. focus?

Yes, in overall view what and how, but no, when you want to do something "blindly" and without manual control.

BTW. I shoot mainly in Macro option - without zoom, or zoomed in +3 (optical max). That's the only option which provides me with OOF backgrounds or "poor man's bokeh".

Cheers!