Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
M42 from my deck
Lens: 100mm DFA WR Macro Camera: K3ii Photo Location: Delaware ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: hoffm141, 06-09-2018, 01:38 PM

Getting started with Astrotracer on my new (to me) K3ii.
I was quite surprised to get such great tracking- 41 seconds on this shot at f/2.8.

Any suggestions on light-pollution filters?

Views: 741
06-09-2018, 02:00 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OMG!! What a beautiful photograph of the stars. Thanks for the treat.

TT
06-09-2018, 04:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Red enhancing filters if there are a lot of Sodium High Pressure lights nearby, those are the annoying yellow streetlamps and security lights. The filters can make it easier in post processing, and even straight out of the camera show improvement over ones taken without.
06-09-2018, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the thumbs-up TT, and I'll look into the red-enhancing filters, SSGGeezer. It's a long drive to get away from the lights, but I like the challenge of seeing what I can capture from my own backyard.

06-20-2018, 05:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hoffm141 Quote
I was quite surprised to get such great tracking- 41 seconds on this shot at f/2.8.

Wow, is that the Orion Nebula in the lower left part of the image?
08-14-2018, 07:23 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Uh oh. You've got your feet wet! Soon you'll be after a tracking mount, then onto a telescope and then you've fully entered the void!
When I first tried my K3II's astrotracer for deeper space, I was immediately hooked. You should be able to get more time out of it. The best I was able to do was 71-80s @300mm. This looks more like 50-75mm? Should be able to get maybe 110s or more as long as you're not around big power lines or metal objects.
No suggestions on light-pollution filters, I don't need them where I live.
08-15-2018, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
It's too late, aitrus3.
I've already got a I-opteron mount that I had used with some success with my Canon G12 prior to buying the K3ii (which I am in love with). The light pollution in my area made Polaris targeting challenging, so the Astrotracer feature is very helpful (and a lot less gear). I was really bummed about the Perseid seeing this year- 5days total rainout in my area (US mid-Atlantic). I had even picked up a Haida nanopro ClearNight filter in preparation- haven't had a chance to use it yet, though. The superwide lens (I have a 16-85 as my current widest) will probably be the next. I'm having trouble deciding if a 14 prime is enough additional view, or going even wider.

Happy seeing.

08-16-2018, 08:48 AM   #8
Pentaxian

It's too late, aitrus3.
I've already got a I-opteron mount that I had used with some success with my Canon G12 prior to buying the K3ii (which I am in love with). The light pollution in my area made Polaris targeting challenging, so the Astrotracer feature is very helpful (and a lot less gear). I was really bummed about the Perseid seeing this year- 5days total rainout in my area (US mid-Atlantic). I had even picked up a Haida nanopro ClearNight filter in preparation- haven't had a chance to use it yet, though. The superwide lens (I have a 16-85 as my current widest) will probably be the next. I'm having trouble deciding if a 14 prime is enough additional view, or going even wider.

Happy seeing.
You'll likely want a wider lens. I have the pentax 14mm and I find myself wanting a tad bit more sometimes.
I meant to buy the Star Adventurer a couple years ago, but a mess up of specs in my brain led me to get the HEQ5 Pro. Just a little bigger than the Star Adventurer... oops. But I love it. I now have a William Optics ZS 71ED and a Flat6A field flattener. I just need to fix the gears (another ooops, I actually have to upgrade them to a belt drive now because of what I did) and I'll be off ot the races again this fall.
I wish I could have seen the persieds, or I would have taken rain for my whole province, rather large forest fires burning right now and the air is choked with smoke. It's "clear" out, but not that we can see.