Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Thoreau Made Us Do It
Lens: DFA 28-105 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Driveway 
Posted By: Sailor, 06-10-2018, 03:54 PM

Recently, Connie and I decided to simplify our lives and decrease the "fleet" from three cars to two by replacing my 2015 BMW M4 coupe and her 2012 Nissan Rogue SL with a single vehicle that would meet our utilitarian needs while providing a reasonably engaging driving experience. After six years with the Rogue, Connie has become shamelessly devoted to the high seating position and convenient cargo compartment of an SUV/crossover, so last month I started researching the plethora of "sporty" SUVs to identify acceptable possibilities based on size, cost, CR reliability data, and performance. This exercise produced three candidates: Audi SQ5, BMW M40i and Porsche Macan GTS. A couple of weeks ago, we road tested all three over a two-day period, and I was absolutely astonished that such vehicles (ungainly to my eye) could perform with such vigor, precision and poise!

I would be delighted with any of the three, but I slightly (very, very slightly) favored the driving dynamics of the Porsche. However, Connie ruled it out because its rakish styling results in a relatively cramped back seat and cargo area; also - unsurprisingly - it's considerably more expensive than the others when comparably equipped. The Audi is amazingly refined and comfortable, but we found its light (but very accurate) steering made us feel just a bit less connected with the SQ5 than with the M40i or GTS. So . . . . . . . . . . . . we settled on the Bimmer. The car has a turbocharged, 3.0-liter inline six producing 355 HP and 369 ft-lb of torque, which will get this guy to 60 mph in about 4.5 seconds through a ZF 8-speed slush box and rear-biased all-wheel drive.

Although the car is painted in "Carbon Black Metallic", it reflects blue highlights in bright sunlight, which are also accentuated with reflections of the blue sky.

Jer

Views: 321
06-10-2018, 04:19 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A very nice piece of German workmanship.
06-10-2018, 05:02 PM   #3
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Although the car is painted in "Carbon Black Metallic", it reflects blue highlights in bright sunlight, which are also accentuated with reflections of the blue sky.
I was surprised to see that effective color of my buddy, a black cat, also depends on how she reflects her environment.
06-11-2018, 06:36 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
A very nice piece of German workmanship.
Thanks, my friend. There is a lot of great German workmanship in this guy, but the car actually assembled in South Carolina, where all BMW SUVs are made.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I was surprised to see that effective color of my buddy, a black cat, also depends on how she reflects her environment.
By golly, I thought of the same black cat analogy as soon as I realized the car's reflective behavior.

Jer