Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
400mm SMC project.
Lens: 35mm f1.8 Camera: D90 Photo Location: Tasmania. 
Posted By: Terry C, 06-10-2018, 05:52 PM

While in a local second hand shop recently, I spotted this lens in its original case. While the case had seen better days, the lens was pristine, and did not even look used.
I managed to get it for $180 ( Australian ) which I thought was a fair price.
Mounting it on my K30, showed that hand held, all was ok, but when using the tripod socket, it was very much front heavy. To correct this, I made an adapter plate to move the weight further back, and achieve better balance. Pics of myself in the workshop, and of the camera and lens were taken with my Nikon D90.
The two test photos were taken first one with a 35mm f2.8 on the K30 ( aimed at the white house on the hill, centre of pic ). Second test photo was taken from the same spot with the 400mm SMC mounted on the K30, and on a tripod.
I probably won't use this lens very often, but it is a keeper.
Tried many times to get these uploaded at all, let alone in a specific order. The first image was meant to be the last in the series - - it did not matter what I called the files or their size, it just would not happen !
Test shots with the K30, other photos with my Nikon D90.

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
NIKON D90  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D90  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D90  Photo   

Views: 984
06-10-2018, 05:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lovely work on the plate to improve balance! You are obviously a machinist! The lens looks immaculate though and I love the shotgun aiming bead on the front of it.
06-11-2018, 05:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Good like mount is it Aluminuim? Well done and rigidity of the mount idea would be good. Thanks SMC Pentax 135-600mm F6.7 which is 4070 grams. Would be great idea if possible. cheers.
06-11-2018, 09:19 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
Good like mount is it Aluminuim? Well done and rigidity of the mount idea would be good. Thanks SMC Pentax 135-600mm F6.7 which is 4070 grams. Would be great idea if possible. cheers.
Yes, aluminium as per attached image. I had a spare quick release plate for my tripod, so this stays on the adapter plate permanently. The two components are pinned together with a roll pin dowel to prevent rotation.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D90  Photo 
06-12-2018, 12:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Terry C Quote
Yes, aluminium as per attached image. I had a spare quick release plate for my tripod, so this stays on the adapter plate permanently. The two components are pinned together with a roll pin dowel to prevent rotation.
Thank you for the, photo and Aluminium with dowels. Well done and cheers.