Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
7 Likes  
Work in progress
Posted By: damianc, 06-15-2018, 09:46 AM

This was just a quick shot to test out an idea and it's growing on me. I need to go back and rework it

Views: 1,267
08-31-2018, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by serothis Quote
Do mind discussing how you setup this shot?
For a number of reasons I haven't got around to revisiting this shot but it's a fairly simple setup:

Goats beard seed superglued to a flat baking sheet then filled with water.

A fine mist spray of water (or water/glycerin)
A mix of glycerin/water/blue food colour dropped onto the seed using a fine syringe
Lighting is provided by a single speedlight bounced off white card at the back of the scene.
Ordinarily I'd keep the flash low to get a while reflection off the water, but on this occasion I kept it higher so illuminating less of the surface water.
I'm not sure whether I like the central blue drop or not, and I'd like to play with the lighting a little

08-31-2018, 06:34 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by damianc Quote
For a number of reasons I haven't got around to revisiting this shot but it's a fairly simple setup:

Goats beard seed superglued to a flat baking sheet then filled with water.

A fine mist spray of water (or water/glycerin)
A mix of glycerin/water/blue food colour dropped onto the seed using a fine syringe
Lighting is provided by a single speedlight bounced off white card at the back of the scene.
Ordinarily I'd keep the flash low to get a while reflection off the water, but on this occasion I kept it higher so illuminating less of the surface water.
I'm not sure whether I like the central blue drop or not, and I'd like to play with the lighting a little
That's beautiful. Thank you for this.
12-01-2019, 03:27 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
Beautiful and inventive.
Unlike others, I don;t mind the bright spot top right. I like that the lighting drops off diagonally from top right to bottom left.
Thanks for sharing!
12-02-2019, 02:41 PM   #19
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by damianc Quote
For a number of reasons I haven't got around to revisiting this shot but it's a fairly simple setup:Goats beard seed superglued to a flat baking sheet then filled with water.A fine mist spray of water (or water/glycerin)A mix of glycerin/water/blue food colour dropped onto the seed using a fine syringeLighting is provided by a single speedlight bounced off white card at the back of the scene.Ordinarily I'd keep the flash low to get a while reflection off the water, but on this occasion I kept it higher so illuminating less of the surface water.I'm not sure whether I like the central blue drop or not, and I'd like to play with the lighting a little
Thanks for all the details, especially on how and why you did the lighting differently

12-02-2019, 06:55 PM   #20
Pentaxian

That looks really cool, great idea.