Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Pelicans, lots of Pelicans
Lens: DA* 50-135 Camera: k3-ii Photo Location: Alberta, Canada 
Posted By: Glen, 06-15-2018, 04:06 PM

These images represent some major firsts for me. The lens, a used DA*50-135 was acquired in the winter so I've had limited opportunity to really put it to use. It's the longest lens I own. I shot all of these from a canoe. I scouted the location some time ago in the winter while driving my Subaru on a frozen lake. I saw some small islands cover with huge nests, sometimes several to a small tree. This was my incentive to canoe the lake recently and see what made the nests. I still can't say for certain but I think they were made by cormorants as the pelicans nest on the ground. I shot these from a canoe bobbing up and down in the lake, and of course the birds are moving; some moved a lot and some not so much. It was a discovery of wildlife unlike anything I've seen before. If you've seen pelican's and cormorants before, this is where they come to spend their summers. It is in the boreal forest of Alberta, mid-way on a north and south basis. The lake is quite shallow so it is unsuitable for motorized boats. That might explain why the pelicans like it so much here.

You may not see it in the images but when I zoom in with Lightroom, I can see the individual hairs strands of each feather in all except the solo flying pelican image. How I managed that I have no idea. Maybe I'm starting to learn a thing or two. The black birds are cormorants and they were more shy than the pelicans. The little birds were seagulls that likely were looking for scraps of free food.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Views: 797
06-15-2018, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Pelicans are cool creatures, the first flying shot is simply magnificent, well done!
Thanks for sharing, and I hope you have some more pictures coming.
06-15-2018, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice captures! Especially with the 50-135, as it is not known for speedy auto focus. Clarity and wonderful IQ yes, fast focus, not so much!.
06-15-2018, 09:59 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Nice captures! Especially with the 50-135, as it is not known for speedy auto focus. Clarity and wonderful IQ yes, fast focus, not so much!.
You've got that right. Watching the lens focus is like watching the second hand move on a wristwatch. I suppose we could say that quality can't be rushed.