Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
It was time for our annual Spring trip to Waterton Lakes National Park........
Lens: Pentax DA8* f:4 300mm+ 1.4 convertor Camera: KP Photo Location: Alberta, Camada ISO: 1600 
Posted By: Heinrich Lohmann, 06-17-2018, 06:59 PM

……..we arrived on Friday June 1st. After setting up (our son had taking their 5th wheel down for us) I went out for an hour or so just to have a look around. After last years fire there is not much open. The Alkamina Parkway is closed and so is the Red Rock parkway, the later is open for a short distance for foot traffic. The Bison Compound is closed as well.

Saturday I went out for a few hours in the morning, didn't feel well and stayed home for the afternoon. Went out Sunday morning and we had Lunch in Waterton village. The village as well as the Prince of Wales Hotel were saved from the fire by massive Sprinklers.

We drove around for a bit and took a few pictures and went back to the trailer. By late afternoon My wife figured that I should go to Emerg in Pincher Creek.
After 62 years one does not argue and so we went. Long story short: By midnight I was in Lethbridge General Hospital getting my perforated Appendix
removed. So much for 16 days in Waterton. I did get a few pictures and will post all the bird pictures that I got here, some Landscapes in another post.

Bufflehead-adult male

Not a very good image of a pair of Sandhill Cranes but for a grab shot worth keeping.

Red-winged Blackbird

Canada Geese

Tree Swallow

Re-winged Blackbird-female

Comments are always welcome and appreciated.
Views: 425
06-17-2018, 07:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I love these shots, a job well done!
Thanks for sharing this series
06-17-2018, 07:01 PM   #3
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this the Canadian park adjoining Glacier National Park??
06-17-2018, 09:11 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I love these shots, a job well done!
Thanks for sharing this series

Thank you kindly and you are welcome.

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Is this the Canadian park adjoining Glacier National Park??
Yes it is, also known as "Glacier-Waterton International Peace Park", have a look here if you like:

A boat ride from Waterton to Goat Haunt Photo Gallery by Heinrich Lohmann at pbase.com

06-17-2018, 11:11 PM   #5
Forum Member

Thank you for this series of images. I always enjoy your work.
Thanks also for the “report” on the area’s closures- now I know not to take my European guests there in July.
I can appreciate your trip from Waterton to Pincher and then on to Lethbridge- both long drives when you’re sick and needing medical attention.
Fortunately all seems to have gone well.
06-18-2018, 07:00 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Must have been quite a scare with that appendix. Glad you listened to your wife. Sounds like you are doing well now and you have Waterton to look forward to again next year.
06-18-2018, 07:41 AM   #7
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Thank you kindly and you are welcome.

Yes it is, also known as "Glacier-Waterton International Peace Park"
My wife and I went to the "Glacier" side in 1985 - when both of us were young enough to sleep in a tent; the pictures I took then were landscape pictures. If we went again, I guess we'd have to sleep in one of Mr. Hill's hotels. The annual "animal" trip we take is much closer for us - to Pt. Pelee.
06-18-2018, 09:26 AM   #8

Red-Winged Blackbirds are one of my favorite birdsongs. You know when you are near swampy or water when you hear them

06-18-2018, 09:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Great images as usual Heinrich.
06-18-2018, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Walkingwolf Quote
Thank you for this series of images. I always enjoy your work.
Thanks also for the “report” on the area’s closures- now I know not to take my European guests there in July.
I can appreciate your trip from Waterton to Pincher and then on to Lethbridge- both long drives when you’re sick and needing medical attention.
Fortunately all seems to have gone well.
Thank you for your kind remarks, Pincher Creek to Lethbridge was via Ambulance, so that was an easy drive.

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Must have been quite a scare with that appendix. Glad you listened to your wife. Sounds like you are doing well now and you have Waterton to look forward to again next year.
Thank you Susan, next year Waterton should be full of new flowers

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My wife and I went to the "Glacier" side in 1985 - when both of us were young enough to sleep in a tent; the pictures I took then were landscape pictures. If we went again, I guess we'd have to sleep in one of Mr. Hill's hotels. The annual "animal" trip we take is much closer for us - to Pt. Pelee.
Pt. Pelee IS nice.

QuoteOriginally posted by Staubach Quote
Red-Winged Blackbirds are one of my favorite birdsongs. You know when you are near swampy or water when you hear them
Thank you, I have too many Red-winged Blackbird pictures already but still can't resist to take more.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Great images as usual Heinrich.
Thank you Norm, it's appreciated
06-18-2018, 02:12 PM   #11
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
I have too many Red-winged Blackbird pictures already but still can't resist to take more.
We even get some at our feeder in the winter {I don't feed the loafers in the summer}