London_8 by Paolo Del Lungo, su Flickr
Views: 1,063
06-20-2018, 09:13 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
No, I'm not exaggerating.

I was using the mouse wheel to move down through the pictures, and when I came to that one I stopped "dead".

This lens can some times do magical things, and it turned that ordinary place into something else - kind of changed relationships and curves I guess.
t doesn't have "pixie dust", but it did something there.
All you stigmatizing pre-Art Sigma lenses, take that!

06-20-2018, 10:22 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Come to think of it, there is an underpass in an adjacent town I've been thinking might have possibilities. Perhaps I could use this lens there - either now or after I get my KP - I'm not sure I'll be able to take any more photos with that lens right now .... my K-30 seems to be exhibiting the aperture control ailment {I guess that would have been one good reason for me to have gotten a K-01 instead if the K-30}
06-20-2018, 03:13 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Come to think of it, there is an underpass in an adjacent town I've been thinking might have possibilities. Perhaps I could use this lens there - either now or after I get my KP - I'm not sure I'll be able to take any more photos with that lens right now .... my K-30 seems to be exhibiting the aperture control ailment {I guess that would have been one good reason for me to have gotten a K-01 instead if the K-30}
It doesn't work anymore even when exercising the aperture with the RAW button?

The K-01 has two massive advantages over the K-30 in LV... 1. it's lighter and 2. it doesn't have a mirror slapping around.
I've done quite a few arm's length shots, holding the strap taut against my neck, and I find it more hand-holdable than pressing a camera against my cheekbone, even if I keep the elbows locked against my ribcage.
The underpass shot is 1/8s handheld (but I've done better and with longer lenses).
06-20-2018, 03:30 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
It doesn't work anymore even when exercising the aperture with the RAW button?
I didn't take any pictures today - I just exercised it using the RAW/Fx button - and to my eye it appeared to be completely closing down each time; right now I'm preparing myself mentally for the possibility I'll have to go all aperture-ring lenses for the next year or so .... but I just don't know and won't know until I actually get out there. I've always been a low-volume shooter .... 500 - 1000 unique images a year {I've never counted shutter count, so a burst of 5 counts as 1 in my mind}

06-20-2018, 03:38 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I didn't take any pictures today - I just exercised it using the RAW/Fx button - and to my eye it appeared to be completely closing down each time; right now I'm preparing myself mentally for the possibility I'll have to go all aperture-ring lenses for the next year or so .... but I just don't know and won't know until I actually get out there. I've always been a low-volume shooter .... 500 - 1000 unique images a year {I've never counted shutter count, so a burst of 5 counts as 1 in my mind}
Sorry to hear that... on the bright side there are lots of good lenses with an aperture ring available for Pentax
06-20-2018, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Sorry to hear that... on the bright side there are lots of good lenses with an aperture ring available for Pentax
Yes, and I've been carrying a FA 28-105mm in my bag, and I have a Sigma 70-300mm, so I'm all set for everything other than UWA. The big timing issue right now is that I'm retired already, my wife retires next year but will hold off collecting Social Security for a year because of how they calculate benefits, so our finances will be a tad complicated for the next year or so.
06-20-2018, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Yes, and I've been carrying a FA 28-105mm in my bag, and I have a Sigma 70-300mm, so I'm all set for everything other than UWA. The big timing issue right now is that I'm retired already, my wife retires next year but will hold off collecting Social Security for a year because of how they calculate benefits, so our finances will be a tad complicated for the next year or so.
One more question {until I think of another } ... how did you meter in a large underpass like #3? Did you just do it directly, compensate somehow, or do something else?

06-20-2018, 11:52 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One more question {until I think of another } ... how did you meter in a large underpass like #3? Did you just do it directly, compensate somehow, or do something else?
I can't remeber exactly, but I think I did it by feel, as always.

I'm quite used to how the preview in my K-01's LV translates in terms of histogram, so I either move the metering spot around, towards a brighter or darker area depending if I want a darker or brighter image, then I freeze with AE-lock and recompose, or adjust the compensation if I feel like it (this time I left it at 0).
If exposure in Av mode varies too quickly (maybe because I'm in spot metering and the camera can't decide between two small bright/dark parts) and I know exactly what I want, I just switch to M and dial everything by hand.

I only need to be careful what I burn (in this case the headlights of the car and the underpass lights, which is ok), get an image as bright as I can get away with, and with an ISO setting as low as possible. The rest happens in RAW development.
06-21-2018, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

I have to agree, the bridge shot is the stand-out for me. (and thanks for the pictures of Firenze - they set vivid memories swirling in my head!)
06-21-2018, 03:24 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergeremy Quote
I have to agree, the bridge shot is the stand-out for me. (and thanks for the pictures of Firenze - they set vivid memories swirling in my head!)
Thank you! it's only a humble underpass near Waterloo Station
Firenze is a beautiful city... but it's quite some time I don't set foot on French soil... I'm thinking about going to Paris in September - a pleasure trip masquerraded as job-related shopping, to appease my conscience!
06-21-2018, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Thank you! it's only a humble underpass near Waterloo Station
Firenze is a beautiful city... but it's quite some time I don't set foot on French soil... I'm thinking about going to Paris in September - a pleasure trip masquerraded as job-related shopping, to appease my conscience!
Even a humble structure can be presented in such a way that it shows beauty.