Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Noojee - Toorongo and Amphitheatre fall (10 IMGs)
Posted By: roentarre, 02-23-2007, 11:20 PM

Finally I got a weekend to myself, away from urban caccophonies...

This trip was based on my relentless attempt to locate Toorongo waterfall over the past 3 years. Joel (moderator) and I tried to find this place several times and never managed to find it - Joel was never happy about the fact that he was dragged by me to find these waterfalls to start with. There was even one occasion that we went to find Trentham fall in which the track was closed down with the actual waterfall flowing with such a small puny stream of water - less than any incontinent urine oozing out of pants.

Today, I found it! I took over 300 photographs as well. K10d of course (not to mention the leeches infested all over my calves through out the trek).

Hope you like the shots

1. Toorongo Fall

1s f/13.0 at 14.0mm iso100 full exif

2. Amphitheatre Fall - so patheticly small but it was still lovely to inhale some forest anionic chloride nevertheless

0.70s f/13.0 at 31.0mm iso100 full exif

3s f/16.0 at 31.0mm iso100 full exif

1/4s f/13.0 at 77.0mm iso100 full exif

1/60s f/2.4 at 77.0mm iso100 full exif

1/180s f/5.6 at 200.0mm iso200 full exif

4s f/13.0 at 14.0mm iso100 full exif

1/45s f/2.8 at 31.0mm iso200 full exif

1/90s f/4.0 at 100.0mm iso400 full exif

10. A good rest with omlette - Yum

I am heading off to eat snow crab with folks tonight - my way to relieve stress

k10d is really really nice in deed
Views: 2,426
02-24-2007, 04:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A great series of shots James. Very nice job. I hope the leeches were worth it.
02-24-2007, 04:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey Scott, you must have been really busy

QuoteOriginally posted by Scott Rylance Quote
A great series of shots James. Very nice job. I hope the leeches were worth it.
It is only about 170 km drive north east of CBD. But this fall is not on the map!

Noojee is a small town - less than 20 houses actually. The whole place has intertwinning roads that I prayed so hard to get out of that labyrinth. The weather, you know, was rather cloudy with fickle temperament. I was almost giving up the chance to locate this fall (Thank God I didn't)

BTW, I knew there were 3 waterfalls in your direction. Hoptoun waterfall along with the other 2 were the majestic three in Otway ranges NP. I think they are quite nice waterfalls for pano jobs. I am looking forward to go there in 3 weeks time. Will you be interested? Let me know in email

The leeches were petite but they caused intense itch. These little rascals penetrated through my thick jeans into my calves. Really scary little things.

At one stage, I almost fell on the slippery hills with my tripod. A bit scary for me.

Thank you for your time to comment, Scott
02-24-2007, 04:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great series, and what a beautiful place! Absolutely love the first two waterfall photos!

Regards,
D

02-24-2007, 05:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
Great series, and what a beautiful place! Absolutely love the first two waterfall photos!

Regards,
D
Thank you Duh vinci. Toorongo waterfall was being classified by an enthusiastist as most asthetic waterfall of victoria here. But no one had heard of it even in wild trekking forum here.

The only pity thing was the fact that I witnessed a lot of little birds probably robins here. I resented that I did not bring my telephoto lenses with me at the time. So many of them flying around...

02-24-2007, 06:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

That waterfall is so beautiful. You've got some great shots posted here, and I bet you feel that the photos still don't do the place any justice.
02-24-2007, 08:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

very beautiful place and also very nice photos!
#1 and #5 are outstanding for me. And #10... this is almost your trademark - food photos.. I like it!

02-24-2007, 08:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

You know you are serious about your photography when you will bleed for it.

From you previous descriptions I thought Australia was is a serious state of drought due to the wildfires. This area looks positively lush and you have done an excellent job of capturing the atmosphere. One thing you may want to add is a more overall shot of the forest to get a better visual on the surroundings.

Your shots of food always make my stomach growl with hunger, then you tell us you are going out for crab. Now you are going to cause me to wreck my diet.
02-24-2007, 10:54 AM   #9
Forum Member

2, 3 and 5 for me
very nice shots indeed!
02-24-2007, 02:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nice to see you all!

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
That waterfall is so beautiful. You've got some great shots posted here, and I bet you feel that the photos still don't do the place any justice.
Well... I was spending half of my time checking out any leeches beneath my jeans ...

The air was so wonderful there that I actually took my time bathed inside the forest air. Really comfortable for me and there is no way I could have convey these feelings in the photographs.

Victorian waterfalls are mostly puny and tiny, unlike the major ones around the world. But I like hown turf better :P

QuoteOriginally posted by kjask Quote
very beautiful place and also very nice photos!
#1 and #5 are outstanding for me. And #10... this is almost your trademark - food photos.. I like it!
Thanks kjask.

With #5, I used Fa77 ltd, D FA100 macro and A*200 f4 macro at the same spot. It turns out Fa77 ltd shot best to my liking. It is that dreamy feel I like.

QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
You know you are serious about your photography when you will bleed for it.

From you previous descriptions I thought Australia was is a serious state of drought due to the wildfires. This area looks positively lush and you have done an excellent job of capturing the atmosphere. One thing you may want to add is a more overall shot of the forest to get a better visual on the surroundings.

Your shots of food always make my stomach growl with hunger, then you tell us you are going out for crab. Now you are going to cause me to wreck my diet.
Hi Clarence. The bushfire is long gone by now but the drought is still around. Now every politician is talking about saving water and debating whether global warming is true or not etc.

I went to that waterfall in the midst of heavy rain. Yes. It was raining while I was trekking in that place hence leeches are really tenacious around my legs and torso. They were attached to the stems of many plants along my path.

That is why I got waterfall shots with water! Too dry in general here.

Speaking of food, I am on diet too but I could not resist the beauty of all kinds of cuisine when having time off. Aroma, texture, taste, appearance and presentation!! My main criteria - hehe

QuoteOriginally posted by Jana Quote
2, 3 and 5 for me
very nice shots indeed!
Any waterfall shots from Slovenia to share with us?

Thanks for your support
02-24-2007, 06:36 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice atmosphere. So nice it could almost be NZ (Except for the leeches of course)
02-25-2007, 01:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Nice atmosphere. So nice it could almost be NZ (Except for the leeches of course)
Hi Arpe. I would love to visit NZ again. It is definitely greener than Australia. The driving is easier to do comparing to here.

Leeches should be everywhere including the Island NZ