Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Likes  #1
When it's too hot to shoot outside...
Lens: Pentax-F 50mm f1.7 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: dining table 
Posted By: micromacro, 06-23-2018, 09:16 PM

...there is always something to shoot indoors. With natural light and gold reflector. Unfortunately it was cloudy evening, but I could not wait till morning.

Attached Images

Views: 1,149
06-23-2018, 11:58 PM   #2

Gorgeous!!

That may have to be my solution soon as t's way too hot to shoot around here too.
06-24-2018, 12:32 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been sitting here in stunned silence. What wonderful photography here. Still lifes are not easy, in fact they can be frustrating, but it looks as though we all call you Master, now. Thanks so much for a super treat. A lot of thought and detail went into this shot. Outstanding.

tt
06-24-2018, 06:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Lovely composition and a very nice setup that makes it possible. Are you an artist with more than your camera also? The artful set up of the wine and fruit makes me think so.

06-24-2018, 07:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
---------- Post added 06-24-18 at 07:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
I have been sitting here in stunned silence. What wonderful photography here. Still lifes are not easy, in fact they can be frustrating, but it looks as though we all call you Master, now. Thanks so much for a super treat. A lot of thought and detail went into this shot. Outstanding.
Thanks Tonytee, you gave me so much credit. I'm not a master, just started actually. It's still too much to learn how to master the shadows/highlights. Actually it's a good way to feel the light, to learn how to manage it. I plan to buy led panel for constant light. Flashes and strobes are great, but it's always guessing when and how they will produce that right dimension. It's always hit and miss. With constant light it's easy to study the light.

---------- Post added 06-24-18 at 07:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Lovely composition and a very nice setup that makes it possible. Are you an artist with more than your camera also? The artful set up of the wine and fruit makes me think so.
Thank you. I'm more a crafter than an artist. I used to draw, many, many years ago. Then recently I bought touch pad, and when I don't shoot, and started painting again, kind of.
That's the magic of photography: there are no limits to do whatever we want, and it's endless studying something new.

QuoteOriginally posted by FLVTISTPhoto Quote
That may have to be my solution soon as t's way too hot to shoot around here too.
It's actually fun, but with some twist, it takes preparation and "warming up" a bit. Try different locations, angles, lenses. I found out that 50mm on FF works the best for me to make that particular set up. Anything wider will add too much distortion, and anything bigger will not give enough frame. First I wished to change the big dining table, but now I think that it gives more freedom to stage different set up. And the glossy surface gives nice reflections.

Here is the beginning: making the backdrops
Attached Images

Last edited by micromacro; 06-24-2018 at 07:46 AM.
06-24-2018, 08:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Very nice, I echo your thoughts about the heat, but here we seem to have +30C and mosquitoes outside, definitely makes you want to be inside
06-24-2018, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #7
SJM
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very nice!

06-24-2018, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A refreshing feast for a hot summer day - nice one.
06-24-2018, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #9
Inactive Account

A delicate capture. Well done!
06-24-2018, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An amazing shot Lana - great work
06-24-2018, 04:44 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
...there is always something to shoot indoors. With natural light and gold reflector. Unfortunately it was cloudy evening, but I could not wait till morning.
The real 'magic' here is in the composition of the subject .... the golden light is 'just' a bonus.
06-24-2018, 08:44 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not one to sit in an art gallery staring at a still life, but this is a nice composition and execution. Good job.
06-24-2018, 10:44 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You have invested a lot of time to set up this wonderful still life. It is a more modern version of what old masters would have done.
Perhaps the drape at the back right could have been a bit more in the shadow.

I know this would interest you and provide inspiration.
I add an image by "Floris van Dijck" which I shot at the Amsterdam Rijksmuseum which is quite similar to yours. One can easily see that you have done very well.

Finally, I hope you will have a few more hot days so we can all see some more of your creativity.

Cheers

Last edited by Schraubstock; 10-27-2018 at 10:48 PM.
06-24-2018, 11:08 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Very nice photo! You're teaching us all some good stuff here! LOL!
06-25-2018, 08:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
You have invested a lot of time to set up this wonderful still life. It is a more modern version of what old masters would have done.
Perhaps the drape at the back right could have been a bit more in the shadow.

I know this would interest you and provide inspiration.
I add an image by "Floris van Dijck" which I shot at the Amsterdam Rijksmuseum which is quite similar to yours. One can easily see that you have done very well.

Finally, I hope you will have a few more hot days so we can all see some more of your creativity.
Oh, I have a few more months of hot days, trust me And most likely there will be hurricanes ahead, then I can use strobes and flashes.

Thank you so much for the tips, I'm searching all over for them. I need to make my own backgrounds, backdrops are not enough. One old rusty brown backdrop seem must have now. And spot reflections a.k.a simple small mirrors, there is so much need for to manage the light better. I want more dimensions to add, more life. It called still, but it is life

---------- Post added 06-25-18 at 08:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Very nice, I echo your thoughts about the heat, but here we seem to have +30C and mosquitoes outside, definitely makes you want to be inside
Thanks. Do it, it's fun.

---------- Post added 06-25-18 at 08:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The real 'magic' here is in the composition of the subject .... the golden light is 'just' a bonus.
Still learning that. And the right angle with different lenses.

---------- Post added 06-25-18 at 08:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bhbrake Quote
I'm not one to sit in an art gallery staring at a still life, but this is a nice composition and execution. Good job.
Wow, thank you.

---------- Post added 06-25-18 at 08:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Very nice photo! You're teaching us all some good stuff here! LOL!
LOL! Hey, there are lots of us who suffers hot summers, right?