Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10 Likes  #1
One lighthouse, 3 days
Posted By: DeadJohn, 06-23-2018, 11:42 PM

Fire Island is a barrier beach south of Long Island, NY, east of New York City. The Fire Island lighthouse was built in 1858, replacing an older lighthouse. Here are 3 photos over a 4 year period.

#1: I wanted to use a long telephoto (Sigma 50-500) from a far distance to show the lighthouse and sun at roughly the same scale. I figured out 2 1-week windows per year when the positioning works out well. The upcoming window was a cold, blustery February week. I got the photo but wasn't fully satisfied. Turbulent air blurred all my attempts - the flagpole on the left is supposed to be straight. I overexposed, too, creating some flare around the sun.

#2: I didn't get a good chance to retry the sunrise photo for 2 years because of work, weather, or just not wanting to wake up so early. My schedule and weather forecasts were good in February 2016. It was less windy than when I tried #1. I got into position to a cloudless sky except for a narrow cloud bank on the horizon, right where the sun would be rising. My intended photo was ruined. I waited another hour for the sun to rise above the clouds and got a keeper.

#3: More recently, there was an interesting alignment of the moon, Venus, and Mercury. I searched for a foreground element to use in the composition and found a spot on the barrier beach where the lighthouse and sky lined up.

Views: 1,057
06-24-2018, 01:45 AM   #2

Really like No 2, great shot!!
06-24-2018, 01:56 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots. The dedication to the subject shows! You times the second one perfectly.
06-24-2018, 02:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Interesting to hear. Also cool to see how the same place is so different.
Love 2 the best.

06-24-2018, 07:27 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great series but I liking number three.
06-24-2018, 08:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Nice series, and shooting the same subject can create a myriad of different images.
I particularly like number 2
06-24-2018, 12:16 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They are all really good shots. I can't decide which one I like the best since they all show something different.

06-24-2018, 12:21 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Fire Island - those were the days - long ago & far away. I like all three shots - the orange glow on the water, the way the yellow beam of light looks as if it's coming from the lighthouse; the colors & shadows in the second shot are incredible & the alignment in the last shot fantastic. Nice series.
06-24-2018, 04:28 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Fire Island is a barrier beach south of Long Island, NY, east of New York City. The Fire Island lighthouse was built in 1858, replacing an older lighthouse. Here are 3 photos over a 4 year period.

#1: I wanted to use a long telephoto (Sigma 50-500) from a far distance to show the lighthouse and sun at roughly the same scale. I figured out 2 1-week windows per year when the positioning works out well. The upcoming window was a cold, blustery February week. I got the photo but wasn't fully satisfied. Turbulent air blurred all my attempts - the flagpole on the left is supposed to be straight. I overexposed, too, creating some flare around the sun.

#2: I didn't get a good chance to retry the sunrise photo for 2 years because of work, weather, or just not wanting to wake up so early. My schedule and weather forecasts were good in February 2016. It was less windy than when I tried #1. I got into position to a cloudless sky except for a narrow cloud bank on the horizon, right where the sun would be rising. My intended photo was ruined. I waited another hour for the sun to rise above the clouds and got a keeper.

#3: More recently, there was an interesting alignment of the moon, Venus, and Mercury. I searched for a foreground element to use in the composition and found a spot on the barrier beach where the lighthouse and sky lined up.

All equally great shots...
06-24-2018, 05:17 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I love hearing different perspectives on different perspectives.
06-25-2018, 04:56 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments.

I sometimes wish I had a boat so it would be easier to get the right position and distance, but too many boat owners say the best part is selling a boat. We think photography is expensive ... our cameras don't need constant maintenance.
06-25-2018, 08:12 PM   #12
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

This series works well together, and they all are very satisfying on their own. Thanks.
06-26-2018, 09:09 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No. 2 looked the best to me.
06-26-2018, 09:34 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All terrific - another vote for number 2 as the most interesting.

Jer
06-26-2018, 10:27 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautifully captured!