Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Rain Worm
Posted By: acbees, 09-13-2008, 07:47 AM

Worm/caterpillar? not sure exactly what to call this, but see them around here a lot. Was between rain showers yesterday when I got home. Walked over to the trash barrel and saw this guy on the edge. It was still sprinkling, but risked a few (OK, a lot of) shots anyway. Between movement and flash glare I had very few that came out (read this as 'photographer error' ) Crawling worms are a real challenge, and I really need to work with flash more. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Anyway, this is the best I have to offer in 37 tries.

K20 and L A Dine and cropped to 8x10 ratio
ISO 200, f/16, 1/45 sec, on board flash.
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by acbees; 09-13-2008 at 07:53 AM.
Views: 3,099
09-13-2008, 07:54 AM   #2

I believe that is a Vapourer Moth caterpillar. The water droplet on its back is fantastic - well done

I shoot macro with a Metz 48-AF1 flash and which has a Lumiquest Mini Softbox attached. The softbox helps to spread and diffuse the flash which makes it less harsh. I also always use a monopod for stability.

Last edited by chirpy; 09-13-2008 at 08:16 AM.
09-13-2008, 08:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the water drop moment you got there and with on board flash, amazing capture.
09-13-2008, 09:19 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The background works well with this picture. JIMBO

09-13-2008, 11:08 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chirpy Quote
I believe that is a Vapourer Moth caterpillar. The water droplet on its back is fantastic - well done

I shoot macro with a Metz 48-AF1 flash and which has a Lumiquest Mini Softbox attached. The softbox helps to spread and diffuse the flash which makes it less harsh. I also always use a monopod for stability.
Thanks for the info on the caterpillar and the comment, Chirpy. If I could edit the title I would. An extra thanks for your edit with the info on your equipment. Greatly appreciated. Had looked at your flickr link and was curious how you got those outstanding, consistent results with your little critter shots. I forgot to include in my original post that I'd used a leg or two of a tripod in my attempts.
Thanks again,
Arvin
09-13-2008, 11:10 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
I like the water drop moment you got there and with on board flash, amazing capture.
Thanks Clicker. Would have felt a little better about it had it not taken so many shots to get one that was acceptable.
Arvin
09-13-2008, 11:13 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
The background works well with this picture. JIMBO
Thanks JIMBO. I wasn't really paying any attention to the background, I was struggling enough with just getting a decent shot of that dang critter!
Arvin
09-13-2008, 08:11 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Yes Yes the water drop does give it a different prospective

cheers