Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
7 Likes  #1
Something from the past era.
Lens: Pentax-F 50mm f1.7 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: my table ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 2s Aperture: F5 
Posted By: micromacro, 06-27-2018, 07:49 PM

First, now we have Still Life category, thanks to Adam.

Second, this old beast is heavy, and I'm soooo happy with electric iron.

When I prepared and ironed curtains for my backdrops today, and was so ready to stage something to shoot, the sky turned into dark, and yeah, thunderstorm- no light. But nothing can stop the urge to shoot.
I placed mini led lights inside of coal iron, it's quite safer than real coal . Did a bit a trick with flash light on white reflector just to adjust shadows a bit. Changed the tint of orange channel, so the "fire" would look more realistic.

Attached Images

Views: 1,044
06-27-2018, 08:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
First, now we have Still Life category, thanks to Adam.

Second, this old beast is heavy, and I'm soooo happy with electric iron.

When I prepared and ironed curtains for my backdrops today, and was so ready to stage something to shoot, the sky turned into dark, and yeah, thunderstorm- no light. But nothing can stop the urge to shoot.
I placed mini led lights inside of coal iron, it's quite safer than real coal . Did a bit a trick with flash light on white reflector just to adjust shadows a bit. Changed the tint of orange channel, so the "fire" would look more realistic.
Imaginative way of giving life to this antique, so you could take this neat picture.
06-27-2018, 08:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That would be one extremely hot iron if it is glowing like that! Cool, now get a smoke machine from Halloween and get a puff coming out of the vent!

How do you keep your table so pristine? My tables never stay that way and my kids have been out of the house for years now!
06-27-2018, 08:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I really like what you've done here.
Keep your still life coming

06-27-2018, 08:40 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
That would be one extremely hot iron if it is glowing like that! Cool, now get a smoke machine from Halloween and get a puff coming out of the vent!

How do you keep your table so pristine? My tables never stay that way and my kids have been out of the house for years now!
Thanks for the tip, I will try those stinky sticks, bought them to shoot smoke. Should be cool to place a few of them at the same time to get that "coal" smoke.
My table is not pristine at all, it's just a portion of it Also I clean it with furniture cleaner between every staging. Sometimes I have to use the brush before pushing it saves so much time for cleaning in Photoshop.

---------- Post added 06-27-18 at 08:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Imaginative way of giving life to this antique, so you could take this neat picture.
Thank you. It seems like I "burned" the towel a bit.

---------- Post added 06-27-18 at 08:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I really like what you've done here.
Keep your still life coming
Thank you! My backdrop stand is on its way, it will give the freedom to chase the light all around the house

Last edited by micromacro; 06-27-2018 at 09:00 PM.
06-27-2018, 10:59 PM   #6
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Good still life. Clever use of LED lighting for the "fire". That iron looks like it could be almost dangerous to use in real life. Thanks.
06-28-2018, 12:12 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very well thought out shot, most of those surviving irons seem to work as door stops, though I must admit I have never seen one you put the coals into, must have kept it going longer.

06-28-2018, 04:34 AM   #8
SJM
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great set up Lana. I love this idea and shot. thanks for sharing.
06-28-2018, 06:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Good the Iron and photo, thank you and shared. cheers
06-28-2018, 08:05 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
Good still life. Clever use of LED lighting for the "fire". That iron looks like it could be almost dangerous to use in real life. Thanks.
Thank you. We are so spoiled these days. Imagine laundry also. Omg, thanks for someone who invented washers and dryers

---------- Post added 06-28-18 at 08:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
Very well thought out shot, most of those surviving irons seem to work as door stops, though I must admit I have never seen one you put the coals into, must have kept it going longer.
Than you.

---------- Post added 06-28-18 at 08:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SJM Quote
Great set up Lana. I love this idea and shot. thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the feedback.

---------- Post added 06-28-18 at 08:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
Good the Iron and photo, thank you and shared. cheers
Thank you.
06-28-2018, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
How do you keep your table so pristine?
Just to show how "pristine" is all the room at the end of brainstorming I need to clean it up the room completely, can't think and see when everything is out of control.
I also realized that it's impossible to relay on window light only since we have thunderstorms, or heavy rains literally every day now. I "confiscated" my son's toy- small led light, 1000 lumen. He was playing with it, made it working from the power outlet. The whole construction happened to fit the flash holder for the softbox. So, this is my toy now.

I believe I caught the still life virus for quite a while. It's just a beginning.
Attached Images

06-28-2018, 08:16 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Well done! As others have said, the red glow effect is a great idea.
06-28-2018, 08:19 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Some smoke from the tube is needed)
06-28-2018, 08:25 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

That would be one extremely hot iron if it is glowing like that!
Is this one of those irons that was heated by placing burning coals into it??
06-29-2018, 08:21 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here is the smoke Three stinky sticks together inside 'chimney", flash behind the iron. What a paint in the neck to get the right smoke. No composite, smoke as is.
Attached Images