Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
13 Likes  #1
My first post! I'll start with a photo.
Lens: SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Jyväskylä, Finland Aperture: F9 
Posted By: matskumatias, 06-29-2018, 07:39 AM

Hi fellow Pentaxians,

I've been reading the forum for some time now and I finally decided to get more involved in this community. I thought I'll start with posting a photo I took last year around this time. Here in Finland we celebrate 'midsummer' - this signifies the longest day of year (which is mostly cold, horrible winter, so we make the most of the short summer). Up in Lapland the sun wont set all night. Midsummer is a important festival for most Finns. It's a time for relaxation at your summer cabin, sauna, eating and drinking well and of course family & friends. In some areas it's a tradition to burn huge bonfires. I've been into photography for a couple years now, however, I have got more serious about it recently (ie. investing into some equipment and editing tools). I'm mostly into landscape and portrait photography, however I experiment with other styles as well. I'm located in Central Finland, a area known for its countless lakes. This picture is from my partners summer cabin in Finland. It's around 3AM when I took this photo. I was going to upload the unedited version for comparison, however, I don't have it on my mac just now. In terms of editing, I added exposure, contrast, whites, shadows and decreased blacks and highlights in addition to tidying it up a bit. All in all it did't need that much, as the the sky was amazing and the lake still, making conditions perfect in my book. I'll try to share some more pics later and perhaps create a album linked to my profile if it's possible.

Anyway, I look forward to chatting with you guys more and please drop a comment regarding the pic if you have the time. Enjoy your day

All the best,
Matias

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 

Last edited by matskumatias; 06-29-2018 at 08:28 AM. Reason: grammar
Views: 1,627
06-29-2018, 08:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum!
That is one excellent image to be proud of!

I look forward to seeing many more pictures
06-29-2018, 08:53 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What an amazing image for a desert dweller view . Thanks.
06-29-2018, 09:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Beautiful photo!

06-29-2018, 04:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

great start. stunning!
06-29-2018, 07:46 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the story and great photo

The story and photo gave me a small and interesting window into your world. Lovely conditions captured so well. Nice work.

---------- Post added 06-29-18 at 07:47 PM ----------

The story and photo gave me a small and interesting window into your world. Lovely conditions captured so well. Nice work.

Tim
06-29-2018, 07:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Beautiful Image looking forward to more from your home land !! Cheers Alan East Coast of Canada

06-30-2018, 08:11 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice - welcome to the Forum
06-30-2018, 08:14 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome tote forum. Anyone who starts with a picture is my kind of guy/ What is with all this talk in the introductions?

Your picture is also my kind of picture.
Sunsets | Flickr
06-30-2018, 08:53 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful, well worth the work you put into being in the right spot at the right time.
06-30-2018, 10:01 AM   #11
Forum Member

It`s ok.
06-30-2018, 10:49 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great photo and welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing more!
06-30-2018, 11:22 AM   #13
Veteran Member

great image! Nice processing also, Welcome!
06-30-2018, 06:28 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by matskumatias Quote
Hi fellow Pentaxians,

I've been reading the forum for some time now and I finally decided to get more involved in this community. I thought I'll start with posting a photo I took last year around this time. Here in Finland we celebrate 'midsummer' - this signifies the longest day of year (which is mostly cold, horrible winter, so we make the most of the short summer). Up in Lapland the sun wont set all night. Midsummer is a important festival for most Finns. It's a time for relaxation at your summer cabin, sauna, eating and drinking well and of course family & friends. In some areas it's a tradition to burn huge bonfires. I've been into photography for a couple years now, however, I have got more serious about it recently (ie. investing into some equipment and editing tools). I'm mostly into landscape and portrait photography, however I experiment with other styles as well. I'm located in Central Finland, a area known for its countless lakes. This picture is from my partners summer cabin in Finland. It's around 3AM when I took this photo. I was going to upload the unedited version for comparison, however, I don't have it on my mac just now. In terms of editing, I added exposure, contrast, whites, shadows and decreased blacks and highlights in addition to tidying it up a bit. All in all it did't need that much, as the the sky was amazing and the lake still, making conditions perfect in my book. I'll try to share some more pics later and perhaps create a album linked to my profile if it's possible.

Anyway, I look forward to chatting with you guys more and please drop a comment regarding the pic if you have the time. Enjoy your day

All the best,
Matias
Fantastic start!
06-30-2018, 09:33 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I see a big problem with this shot.

Either this is the best you have and you will now not be able to keep up to that standard

or

This is not the best you have and now we will not be able to keep up to your standard.