Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
"The Best of My Aircraft Photos."
Lens: Various Camera: Various 
Posted By: Dewman, 07-02-2018, 06:48 AM

These are some photos I've collected over the past years, some going back to the Vietnam War days. Thanks for viewing.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K2000  Photo     
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K2000  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K2000  Photo       
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K2000  Photo     

Views: 633
07-02-2018, 08:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Many Photograhs and other well persist to do.
07-02-2018, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Marvelous collection, Dewey. Every one of these is a dandy!

Jer
07-02-2018, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Marvelous collection, Dewey. Every one of these is a dandy!

Jer

Thanks, Jer. What did you think of the A-1 "Spad"? IIRC, it was designated an EA1F, and it was a four-seat electronics countermeasures version. I loved the sound of that huge radial engine when they'd wind up for takeoff! Quite an amazing aircraft. It could carry more ordinance than the plane itself weighed.

There is an incredible story of the ability of the old Spad that you might find interesting. Go down to the "Medal of Honor" section. Pretty amazing war story! Bernard F. Fisher - Wikipedia

07-02-2018, 01:53 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Thanks, Jer. What did you think of the A-1 "Spad"? IIRC, it was designated an EA1F, and it was a four-seat electronics countermeasures version. I loved the sound of that huge radial engine when they'd wind up for takeoff! Quite an amazing aircraft. It could carry more ordinance than the plane itself weighed.

There is an incredible story of the ability of the old Spad that you might find interesting. Go down to the "Medal of Honor" section. Pretty amazing war story! Bernard F. Fisher - Wikipedia
Interesting story - I'd forgotten that prop planes were used in Viet Nam. Fisher was one gutsy guy!

Happy 4th of July.

Jer
07-02-2018, 04:40 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You have sent us another great series but the flight deck photos are history in the making . Thanks for your service .
07-02-2018, 05:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Great images Dewey! Love the old A-1. I figured that was an Electronic Attack bird from the pod under the wing.! A Spad carried more ordnance than most WWII bombers were capable of. Love old warbirds.

07-02-2018, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Great images Dewey! Love the old A-1. I figured that was an Electronic Attack bird from the pod under the wing.! A Spad carried more ordnance than most WWII bombers were capable of. Love old warbirds.

Yep, Tom.... they were amazing airplanes, for sure. We had the last remaining operational squadron still on active duty.... or so I was told. Many of the pilots were Korean War veterans (Lt. Cmdrs) and as you would imagine, quite salty! Many of them wore scarves around their necks, like Snoopy in his Sopwith Camel! During takeoff, the canopy was left open for safety's sake (no ejection seats!) and they would flip the scarves out into the slip stream in a show of bravado.

What a time, what men, what cajones! Every so often, I still have dreams about the sounds, the smells, the feel of the noise.... and I miss it! What a hell of an adventure for a 21-year-old kid! I think flying loiter duty was my favorite job.
07-02-2018, 06:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Yep, Tom.... they were amazing airplanes, for sure. We had the last remaining operational squadron still on active duty.... or so I was told. Many of the pilots were Korean War veterans (Lt. Cmdrs) and as you would imagine, quite salty! Many of them wore scarves around their necks, like Snoopy in his Sopwith Camel! During takeoff, the canopy was left open for safety's sake (no ejection seats!) and they would flip the scarves out into the slip stream in a show of bravado.

What a time, what men, what cajones! Every so often, I still have dreams about the sounds, the smells, the feel of the noise.... and I miss it! What a hell of an adventure for a 21-year-old kid! I think flying loiter duty was my favorite job.
I don't miss the lines at the mess hall or waxing the Captain's and Admirals Blue tile Areas up on the 03 Deck, but I miss watching traps either from topside or on the Closed circuit TV. And that DFM adds a special spice to the distilled water, and sure kept you regular!
07-12-2018, 07:07 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice collection.
07-12-2018, 04:40 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Nice shots! Thanks for sharing.

What plane is that behind the P-40? The one that is polished with a 3 bladed prop?