Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Many Dragons Who Fly Visiting
Lens: Pentax DA 55-300 ED PLM WR Camera: KP Photo Location: Liberty, Maine ISO: 560 Shutter Speed: 1/640s Aperture: F9 
Posted By: SSGGeezer, 07-02-2018, 02:48 PM

Many Dragonflies were buzzing my yard and the weeds across the street when SWMBO and I returned from visiting some folks inland today. Most of these are different critters and I even left one or two out of this series. 55-300 PLM and KP.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 

Last edited by SSGGeezer; 07-02-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Views: 409
07-02-2018, 03:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice series and well done the flies. Thanks. Cheers
07-02-2018, 04:18 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Those are really well done! Some of the backgrounds are really superb!
07-02-2018, 05:13 PM   #4
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Those are really well done! Some of the backgrounds are really superb!
Thanks Todd! Just the yard and weeds I don't trim that are on someone else's property across the street. I have lake and river within a hundred meters so Dragonflies are all over the place. In this group i only had one of 11 or 12 that had any of the little red water mites. (image 6.) Which is good since they hurt the dragonflies and can kill larvae in the lakes and ponds.

07-02-2018, 06:57 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I have lake and river within a hundred meters so Dragonflies are all over the place. In this group i only had one of 11 or 12 that had any of the little red water mites. (image 6.) Which is good since they hurt the dragonflies and can kill larvae in the lakes and ponds.
Thanks for pointing that out, I never would have thought of a parasite on a dragonfly.
07-03-2018, 12:50 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's a really lovely series, just how big are these dragonflies ? I looked at your profile, for a dead guy you're holding up remarkably well.
07-03-2018, 01:58 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great series! Lovely.
07-03-2018, 04:07 AM   #8
SJM
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Thanks for sharing

07-03-2018, 07:08 AM   #9
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
That's a really lovely series, just how big are these dragonflies ? I looked at your profile, for a dead guy you're holding up remarkably well.
The ones near my house are several inches, or perhaps 8-10 cm long, wingspan a bit wider. I have learned that the males of at least two species change color to a bright red when they mature, this way the immature males are not attacked before they are actual breeding competitors. Male Dragonflies Color Shift via Simple Chemical Reaction - Scientific American

They were probably a lot larger 325 Million years ago! My joke when I shoot images of dragonflies here, I am generally using what is not a close focus or macro lens by Pentax standards. My running comment is "remember folks, this is NOT a macro lens" Usually my 55-300 PLM or my DA 50-135.
07-03-2018, 07:26 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All of these a pleasure to look at. Great job.
07-03-2018, 07:32 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Dayumm! Those are great captures, it's like they were posing for you... They are beauties indeed.
07-03-2018, 09:06 AM   #12
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Many Dragonflies were buzzing my yard and the weeds across the street when SWMBO and I returned from visiting some folks inland today. Most of these are different critters and I even left one or two out of this series. 55-300 PLM and KP.
I wish dragonflies would plague us like that - good job working with the ones that came and volunteered
07-03-2018, 09:08 AM   #13
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Dayumm! Those are great captures, it's like they were posing for you... They are beauties indeed.
They love the heat and it is oppressive heat-wise over the last few days and today is worse. I can see one on the onion top like in one image here but it is already about 90F with 90+% humidity and sun. The sun makes them sparkle and near noon means I can control my shadow easier, (but since they are sight hunters, they see me when I am taking images.) But since doing more than folding clothes in my air conditioned bedroom makes me sweat through my shirt, I think I will pass on new images till this evening at the earliest.

---------- Post added 07-03-18 at 09:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I wish dragonflies would plague us like that - good job working with the ones that came and volunteered
I am all for it since they are carnivores who eat biting flies and mosquitos, and their nymphs eat mossy larvae as well as tadpoles and little frogs. mostly mosquito babies though so I love my dragonflies, even if they eat an occasional damselfly.