Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Snowflakes
Lens: Pentax 50mm Camera: Pentax K3II Photo Location: Kamloops ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/15s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: aitrus3, 07-03-2018, 08:48 AM

I realized I didn't share my snowflake images from last winter. If you like the first one, I may post one or two more in separate posts, to get that K1 giveaway post count up a bit.
Really hope I'm not working so much at the end of the month this time so I can participate in the raffle portion! It would be fitting to win a K1 this month, seeing as this is the month, 3 years ago, I upgraded from my K20D to the K3II.
Anyway, about the image:
I believe it is 11 or so focus slices merged in Affinity Photo. Some minor pre-development done in LR first, and more minor adjustments after, but this is about as SOOC as a focus merge can get.
Lens was the Pentax 50mm f2.8 Macro (@f8) with either 68 or 72mm of extension tubes behind it. The numbers are worn off but they're older Kenko auto extension tubes and I used all three. Allows me to focus real close on these little guys with the 50mm Macro and fill a very large portion of the frame.
I also built my own focus rail to use for this, so I could move my camera back and forth on the tripod with ease. I wasn't about to spend $650 US on a focus rail when I could build one for $40 cdn of parts that performs just as well.
I need to figure out how to light these little guys. I did some experimenting but it all failed spectacularly; there's a very narrow angle of light that you need in order to show any detail, otherwise they just look transparent. This shot and all the others are done with natural overcast light.

Views: 624
07-03-2018, 09:16 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Incredible!
07-03-2018, 09:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nicely lit and imaged!
07-03-2018, 09:19 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
I realized I didn't share my snowflake images from last winter. If you like the first one, I may post one or two more in separate posts, to get that K1 giveaway post count up a bit.
Really hope I'm not working so much at the end of the month this time so I can participate in the raffle portion! It would be fitting to win a K1 this month, seeing as this is the month, 3 years ago, I upgraded from my K20D to the K3II.
Anyway, about the image:
I believe it is 11 or so focus slices merged in Affinity Photo. Some minor pre-development done in LR first, and more minor adjustments after, but this is about as SOOC as a focus merge can get.
Lens was the Pentax 50mm f2.8 Macro (@f8) with either 68 or 72mm of extension tubes behind it. The numbers are worn off but they're older Kenko auto extension tubes and I used all three. Allows me to focus real close on these little guys with the 50mm Macro and fill a very large portion of the frame.
I also built my own focus rail to use for this, so I could move my camera back and forth on the tripod with ease. I wasn't about to spend $650 US on a focus rail when I could build one for $40 cdn of parts that performs just as well.
I need to figure out how to light these little guys. I did some experimenting but it all failed spectacularly; there's a very narrow angle of light that you need in order to show any detail, otherwise they just look transparent. This shot and all the others are done with natural overcast light.

Great shot with great detail and very helpful description of techniques too!!
Thanks for sharing.

07-03-2018, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swip Quote
Great shot with great detail and very helpful description of techniques too!!
Thanks for sharing.
Thanks! And thanks to the other two as well

That's some of the technique. The rest comes in with how to capture the flakes in the first place. Best is when it is actually snowing. You also need the right temperatures in all levels of the snowflakes development in order to get the right kind of snowflake. I've waited and watched for hours on end and in any particular storm, the flakes will turn from frosty versions of these, to round balls, to simple rods, and then to these, only to go back to round balls soon after... ie patience is key. That and having a mit, hat, carpet, glove, or whatever else ready outside in a dry place where it can freeze but not get wet.

You wait for the right flakes to fall because it is best to simply catch them as they fall and photograph them immediately. Otherwise they will evaporate and lose their structures soon after. And to try to isolate already fallen flakes is difficult to do without damaging them.

This is an example of gently throwing a shovel full of snow in the air and catching some of the drift. This simple act, while the gentlest form of manipulation, tends to break every snowflake in the pile no matter where it may be located. It's a good last resort method but catching fresh flakes as they fall is much better.

Last edited by aitrus3; 07-03-2018 at 07:39 PM.
07-04-2018, 06:23 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow! I love this and great info.
07-04-2018, 09:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks! And thanks to the other two as well

That's some of the technique. The rest comes in with how to capture the flakes in the first place. Best is when it is actually snowing. You also need the right temperatures in all levels of the snowflakes development in order to get the right kind of snowflake. I've waited and watched for hours on end and in any particular storm, the flakes will turn from frosty versions of these, to round balls, to simple rods, and then to these, only to go back to round balls soon after... ie patience is key. That and having a mit, hat, carpet, glove, or whatever else ready outside in a dry place where it can freeze but not get wet.

You wait for the right flakes to fall because it is best to simply catch them as they fall and photograph them immediately. Otherwise they will evaporate and lose their structures soon after. And to try to isolate already fallen flakes is difficult to do without damaging them.

This is an example of gently throwing a shovel full of snow in the air and catching some of the drift. This simple act, while the gentlest form of manipulation, tends to break every snowflake in the pile no matter where it may be located. It's a good last resort method but catching fresh flakes as they fall is much better.
wow, amazing detail! Thanks for sharing!

07-04-2018, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Snowflakes
What fantastic detail you have captured here, with me... I must be late to the party and snowflakes have got together with all their pals and blocked my driveway.
07-04-2018, 11:23 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Incredible work, thank you for sharing.
07-05-2018, 09:54 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks all, I will create a new thread with my second favourite snowflake from last winter.