Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
The Best of my "Backyard Birds" Vol. #1.
Lens: Various Camera: Various 
Posted By: Dewman, 07-06-2018, 08:45 AM

This is the first volume of photographs of birds I captured in my back yard. Thanks for taking a look.

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
  Photo   
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo       

Views: 672
07-06-2018, 08:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Great collection!
07-06-2018, 09:02 AM   #3

Nice photos, sharp and beautiful colours. And the birds seem happy posing.
Would like to know details of the shots, camera, lens, speed, aperture.
07-06-2018, 09:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful round little eyes!

Thanks for sharing.

07-06-2018, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Baytelphoto Quote
Nice photos, sharp and beautiful colours. And the birds seem happy posing.
Would like to know details of the shots, camera, lens, speed, aperture.

Thanks for the comments. Most were shot using either a Sigma 70-300mm APO DG lens or a Pentax-DA 55-300mm ED lens and a K-50 camera. I have a bird condo/feeder in my back yard and I shoot from inside my dining room, through the patio doors. My subjects are usually no more than 12'- 15' distant.
07-06-2018, 10:57 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Terrific collection, my friend.

Jer
07-07-2018, 08:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Terrific collection, my friend.

Jer

Thanks, Jer. I wish I could have more of a varied selection of birds that visited my feeder, but it seems that about 95% of them are all common "English" (???) sparrows. Once in a great while a finch or two, and a Junko now and then. When I lived up in the Rockies, we had some beautiful Mountain Bluebirds and some stunning cardinals. But, not so down here in the valley. Plenty of doves though.

Last year, I had what I think was a red-tailed hawk swoop down and snatch a dove out of my back yard, right in front of my eyes! Scared the crap out of me! It happened in literally the blink of an eye, with nothing but a handful of feathers wafting back down to earth as the hawk flew off with the dead dove in it's talons! It was something I wouldn't have expected in a hundred years..... just standing there in my dining room, looking out the glass door and all of a sudden..... KAPOW! YIKES!

07-07-2018, 11:46 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Last year, I had what I think was a red-tailed hawk swoop down and snatch a dove out of my back yard, right in front of my eyes! Scared the crap out of me! It happened in literally the blink of an eye, with nothing but a handful of feathers wafting back down to earth as the hawk flew off with the dead dove in it's talons! It was something I wouldn't have expected in a hundred years..... just standing there in my dining room, looking out the glass door and all of a sudden..... KAPOW! YIKES!
Really nice shots Dewman! I have had similar experiences with Cooper's Hawks swooping through and picking off Doves and the occasional Scrub Jay. I used to have a pair of Mallard Ducks land and feed under my feeder and one time a hawk attempted to get the female right in front of my eyes. I have never heard a sound like what I heard from that duck. She exploded off the ground and the hawk never really had a chance to get her. She and the male flew about 75 feet to the neighbor's pool and dove to the bottom!
07-22-2018, 11:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
This is the first volume of photographs of birds I captured in my back yard. Thanks for taking a look.
Good series and the best. Cheers