Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Finally!!! Soccer time again
Posted By: mel, 09-14-2008, 11:25 AM

I know you will all get tired of my soccer shots and will start ignoring me soon. But I'll pretend I don't know that because it's the first games of the season and I'm giddy with excitement. I haven't gone through all of them yet and I think I may have a decent penalty kick sequence, but darn pesky job gets in the way of all my fun.

So humor me. I love this game. We're white, it's u16. We won 1-0 on a pk. The cards were coming out of the ref's pocket and the other team's coach was sent off. I'm sure there will be more to follow. And I still have the u10s to go through.

Views: 3,742
09-14-2008, 12:04 PM   #2

Nice shots!
I love soccer but only when national team is playing
09-14-2008, 12:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice series, and I like genuine football, as we call it in Europe!
09-14-2008, 12:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Very Nice Mel

Soccer is a great game to catch and you have done a wonderful job of it here.

Neil

09-14-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks! Wow look, Croatia, Finland, and Australia. Cool.

Georg - I'd call it football too as is proper but most of my fellow Americans would get it confused with the gridiron variety. I'm itching to try shooting that as well.

Thanks for looking!
09-14-2008, 01:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Nice! I took some soccer shots last weekend, but won't even bother posting them now. These are just too good for me to waste the server space with mine.

The goalie shot is particularly good...
09-14-2008, 01:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Thanks! Wow look, Croatia, Finland, and Australia. Cool.

Georg - I'd call it football too as is proper but most of my fellow Americans would get it confused with the gridiron variety. I'm itching to try shooting that as well.

Thanks for looking!
I have enjoyed your other series also, and am inspired to do the same, but unfortunately I cannot go to the nearby kid's football arena to get some great images as I am a stranger there, and don't want to shoot in secret

09-14-2008, 04:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

great series Mel. I promise we won't get bored.
09-14-2008, 06:15 PM   #9
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
Nice! I took some soccer shots last weekend, but won't even bother posting them now. These are just too good for me to waste the server space with mine.

The goalie shot is particularly good...
Thanks!
Please do post them. I personally love seeing other people's sports shots

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
I have enjoyed your other series also, and am inspired to do the same, but unfortunately I cannot go to the nearby kid's football arena to get some great images as I am a stranger there, and don't want to shoot in secret
Well if you ever find yourself in my neck of the earth you have a standing invitation to come to our games and shoot. You won't be a stranger.

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
great series Mel. I promise we won't get bored.
GOOD!!! Cuz I'm just a wee bit out of control . . .
And Thanks!
09-15-2008, 12:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

A great range of your photographic skill

BTW what range works best for you

cheers
09-15-2008, 12:38 AM   #11
Damn Brit

I look forward to you holding workshops on shooting football matches.
I have a question for you Mel; How the F do you do that, Pentax is no good for shooting sports?
Great work, you are the master (or is it mistress?).
09-15-2008, 02:09 AM   #12
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
A great range of your photographic skill

BTW what range works best for you

cheers
Thanks!
What do you mean by range? Focol length of lens? All I have that gives me any kind of reach is a shamefully cheap Quantaray 70-300mm. Then I run up and down the sidelines as much as I can trying to keep the action coming toward me (I had quite the workout myself). I got lucky this time as all the teams and spectators took one side of the field, leaving the other to me and the AR. On top of that, the side they took was the side looking into the sun. When the action is on my side of the field, I find that 70mm is too close, and on the far side, 300mm is too far away. I've convinced myself that a BIGMA (see all caps Mike) is a necessity for this.

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I look forward to you holding workshops on shooting football matches.
I have a question for you Mel; How the F do you do that, Pentax is no good for shooting sports?
Great work, you are the master (or is it mistress?).
Holding a workshop would imply that I actually have half a clue what I'm doing. And I think my personal Pentax is one of those freaks that got mixed up with some parts of something else in the factory because of course no REAL Pentax could ever handle action as fast as this.

Ummmm, mistress has some connotations that I would prefer to not have affiliated with my person thanks. How about maybe "isn't too terribly bad with a camara?"

Thanks Gary.
09-25-2008, 09:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Mel, you really need to print up some business cards to hand out at the games. You could generate some sales out of these.
09-25-2008, 01:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Enough with the kudos, these photos suck.

Kidding aside, these are your best ever - that I can remember. Colours are so vivid too.
Well done Mel, you're becoming a huge ambassador for the game on this forum.
09-25-2008, 08:49 PM   #15
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Mel, you really need to print up some business cards to hand out at the games. You could generate some sales out of these.
That would be a great idea Mike if I had any kind of confidence in myself to go out the do the selling part. A couple parents have expressed interest in buying a disk of hi-res shots of their kid at the end of the season so there's a start.

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Enough with the kudos, these photos suck.

Kidding aside, these are your best ever - that I can remember. Colours are so vivid too.
Well done Mel, you're becoming a huge ambassador for the game on this forum.

I finally was able to find a hood to fit my zoom and I think that's helped a LOT with the colors. I also got lucky with the conditions at this game. The game last weekend didn't have as good of conditions. It was late in the day and the shadows were getting long and the light funky. But some of the shots did have an interesting golden glow to them.

Thanks JC. It is only the best game ever!!