Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
A Sneeze and a Wave Goodbye
Lens: Vivitar 80-200mm Camera: K-50 Photo Location: Idaho ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/2000s Aperture: F13.5 
Posted By: Dewman, 07-07-2018, 03:25 PM

A couple of years ago, I took my K-50 and wandered down the street, looking for something to photograph. I saw a little songbird in a small tree on the street corner, so I stopped to take a shot.

All of a sudden, a car came flying into the driveway and a very grumpy middle-aged woman came hustling over to me and demanded to know why I was photographing her “tree”! I tried to explain that I was trying to “shoot” the bird in the tree. She insisted that I leave or she would call the cops.Since I was on public property, I suggested she go ahead and call the authorities.

Within a few minutes, a police car pulled up, rolled down his window and asked, with a smile on his face, “So, you’re the guy who’s 'shooting' this lady’s birds, eh?”

“Yep, that’d be me,” I replied.

The old gal came out with her panties all in a wad, really throwing a fit, telling the officer how I was violating all kinds of laws, even including the fact that my dog was NOT on a leash. He informed her that my dog was NOT required to be on a leash as long as he was under voice command. I immediately said to my dog, “Buckwheat, can you sneeze?” To which he promptly sneezed, pretty as you please! It was something I had taught him several years ago. The cop almost laughed out loud!

“Ma’am, I don’t think his dog needs to be on a leash, and as far as I can see, the gentleman hasn’t violated any laws. Ya’ll have a nice day.” With that, he drove away.

The little bird even managed to wave goodbye to me!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 

Views: 730
07-07-2018, 03:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A very nice catch of something not seen too often.
07-08-2018, 06:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
great story! and quite a good shot too!
07-08-2018, 08:51 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Entertaining story and photo. Thanks for sharing both.

07-08-2018, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
A couple of years ago, I took my K-50 and wandered down the street, looking for something to photograph. I saw a little songbird in a small tree on the street corner, so I stopped to take a shot.

All of a sudden, a car came flying into the driveway and a very grumpy middle-aged woman came hustling over to me and demanded to know why I was photographing her “tree”! I tried to explain that I was trying to “shoot” the bird in the tree. She insisted that I leave or she would call the cops.Since I was on public property, I suggested she go ahead and call the authorities.

Within a few minutes, a police car pulled up, rolled down his window and asked, with a smile on his face, “So, you’re the guy who’s 'shooting' this lady’s birds, eh?”

“Yep, that’d be me,” I replied.

The old gal came out with her panties all in a wad, really throwing a fit, telling the officer how I was violating all kinds of laws, even including the fact that my dog was NOT on a leash. He informed her that my dog was NOT required to be on a leash as long as he was under voice command. I immediately said to my dog, “Buckwheat, can you sneeze?” To which he promptly sneezed, pretty as you please! It was something I had taught him several years ago. The cop almost laughed out loud!

“Ma’am, I don’t think his dog needs to be on a leash, and as far as I can see, the gentleman hasn’t violated any laws. Ya’ll have a nice day.” With that, he drove away.

The little bird even managed to wave goodbye to me!
My wife asked me what I was laughing about as I read this. I read it to her, and then added my own postscript: "The dog wasn't the one who needed a leash".
07-08-2018, 09:56 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Your story made me smile, and with an unusual shot too. TFS
07-08-2018, 10:03 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great story and a fun photo to go along with it!

07-08-2018, 11:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm glad you all saw the humor in the story. Till this day, she still gives me dirty looks when I go for a walk near her house.