Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  
Wee Bit Of History
Posted By: Kerrowdown, 07-08-2018, 07:42 AM

A grave slab found inside the North Transept of St Clements Church, Rodel, on the Isle of Harris in the Western Isles. It is dated 1725 and came from a caibeal outside near the tower, the initials probably stand for Roderick Campbell and his wife Ann MacSween (Campbell may have been a former Chamberlain of Harris).

I remember it being really quite dark in there and with my "Special Lady” (Pentax-A 50mm F1.2), I was on the limits of my hand holding capabilities. I was kinda stuck here, small building, short on time, no flash and tripod rules, just had to go with what I had available, breath slowly, lean on a wall and squeeze one off like a marksman.

The emblems of mortality and immortality were seldom used after the 18th Century, but I am able to give you a wee bit of insight into them...

Left Top, Coffin - The shape was usually realistic and is normally recognisable, in 18th Century as here, one coffin was often placed in a row of symbols.

Middle top, Death's Head - The skull was used to represent death, a reminder that death comes to everyone. Its is often shown as here, with deep eye sockets and triangular nose.

Top Right, Hour Glass - This indicates the passing of time and can be portrayed either vertical or a horizontal position. It is usually carved realistically and it's plump shape lent itself to carving in high relief.

Lower Left, Bones - These often accompanied the Death's Head (Middle Top) and were shown like this crossed.

Lower Middle, Deid Bell - The Deid Bell was rung to give notice of funerals and at the funeral itself.

Lower Right, Sexton's Tools - The spade and the turf cutter, the latter has a triangular blade and very often the tools are shown crossed, as here.

Hope you find this additional information interesting.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 07-08-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Views: 1,154
04-04-2021, 01:35 PM   #16
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Great shot and some fascinating history.

Jer
Thank you for your kind words.